Is this much growth… normal?

Hello all!

I planted a tiger lotus bulb I bought from Aquarium Co-op and I am shocked with how large it grew in just a short amount of time. The color isn't fantastic but the number and sheer SIZE of the lily pads are becoming problematic as they are blocking a ton of light from getting to my other plants. The largest of the lilypads are about the size of my hand, which isnt particularly small. I wasn’t expecting this kind of growth at all, considering I’ve had similar plants (red tiger lotus) and they’ve never grown this large. Anyone else have this experience? 
I have it in a 75g tiger barb tank with C02 planted into ecocomplete substrate. The roots aren’t even in the substrate all the way and I am still seeing a massive amount of growth.

I need to trim, but am worried about damaging the plant and frankly Im impressed with the growth and am hesitant to ruin it 😅

Thoughts?

7A731421-9F0A-42E4-B035-DD749B2991A2.jpeg

67D4C32F-7542-492D-9F78-D61E2718C8AA.jpeg

5ABAFF2D-02CE-46B3-9F1D-A6101DB13DC0.jpeg

0B6DBE60-3150-44F2-A975-C1BDF4C3BA56.jpeg

84314383-324D-402D-AD13-45A3C497617C.jpeg

7149AA99-9A98-4ECC-A962-473F71933551.jpeg

Edited by EVoyager31
  • Love 2

Bc its a a bulb plant, it has access to tons of neutrients. Once it has its first lily pad, it has access to unlimited co2 and plenty of light. Combined with already being an easy plant, it would be surpising if it didnt go crazy. This plant can grow under the worst conditions so under decent conditions it goes nuts. If you want to get it under control, clip all the lilies that reach to surface.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:35 PM, Scapexghost said:

Bc its a a bulb plant, it has access to tons of neutrients. Once it has its first lily pad, it has access to unlimited co2 and plenty of light. Combined with already being an easy plant, it would be surpising if it didnt go crazy. This plant can grow under the worst conditions so under decent conditions it goes nuts. If you want to get it under control, clip all the lilies that reach to surface.

I ended up clipping today.. the absolute MOP of lilies that came out of that tank were laugh worthy.. way more than I even had in the pics! Wild!