Hi

I have been hatching brine shrimp for the past couple day. I only have like 20 fry and rest goes to bigger fish to feed so I'm using 1/4 teaspoon of eggs. What salt/baking soda would you recommend ?

Im experimenting 3 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda for the last batch. Does this look ready its been 24hour or should I give it longer time? Temp is at 75degree

20201021_073333.jpg.bdf0143cdcd672deda12a8428df3074c.jpg

Edited by SilveRx

Im using api aquarium salt, and arm&hammer baking soda.

Since I'm in canada I can't get any aquarium coop eggs, but these eggs claim 90% hatch rate. 

I'm just unsure if my 24hr is fully hatch or should I wait for 36hr.

I did watch that video a couple times but since I'm hatching a quarter of eggs what he recommends should I reduce my salt/soda and water ? 

thanks

Don't reduce the salt/soda and water as that provides hatching water of the proper salt/soda/water ratio or even if you trimmed everything proportionally there is little to be gained. Also I get further hatching between the 24th and 36th hour, but I start using the newly hatched shrimp at about hour 24 for 2 reasons

• Newly hatched baby brine shrimp are still mostly nutritious yolk
  • By removing some baby brine shrimp the water is less crowded/polluted for those yet to hatch
  • Like 3

I have crazy good luck with Instant Ocean and tap water. No baking soda, no additives, no buffers. The marine salt brings all that with it, and the chlorine and chloramines in my tap water helps prevent bacterial infections.

I'm getting 95% hatch rates from Aquarium Co-Op eggs, so long as the room temperature is warm. I MUST use a light, or the hatch rate drops significantly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 8:21 AM, SilveRx said:

Im using api aquarium salt, and arm&hammer baking soda.

Since I'm in canada I can't get any aquarium coop eggs, but these eggs claim 90% hatch rate. 

I'm just unsure if my 24hr is fully hatch or should I wait for 36hr.

I did watch that video a couple times but since I'm hatching a quarter of eggs what he recommends should I reduce my salt/soda and water ? 

thanks

No, I never vary the amount of salt in the water, regardless of the volume of eggs. Salinity is salinity, regardless of how many critters are living in it!

As for checking hatch completion, I simply turn off my air, put the light on top, and wait 5 minutes. If I see a thick layer of hatched eggshells floating on top and nearly none settled in the bottom, I know I'm done.

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

I have the Fritz A+ aquarium salt that is normally used as treatment for sick fish, could I use that for BBS?

That's exactly what we use to hatch bbs! Seems to work quite well, same process. 2 tablespoons, 2 liters of water. 

Thanks @Bill Smithand @Lizzie Block, I might experiment around with instant ocean and with the Fritz A+. I’m planning on testing out a few different hatchery methods as well, including the Ziss along with San Francisco Bay and @Dean’s Fishroommethod

Edited by Steph’s Fish and Plants
Accidentally posted the same thing I posted earlier, oops