Breeder Box Suggestions

Zac

Hey all,

What suggestions do you have for breeder boxes for guppies? Unfortunately the seller I’m buying from only sells in pairs with additional fry(unsexed). So I can’t get one male to 3 females. I’ll need a breeder box to start out for obvious reasons. What do you guys suggest? I’m thinking the Fluval multichambered box or the ziss box 

• Like 1

You can build one of these to size. It can  float inside your tank. Fry that are born can escape through the holes, but adults cannot.

There are many, many applications. I will say that you’ll spend some $$ on tge plastic mesh and zip ties up front. But given how it’s DIY sizable, I like mine…

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:30 PM, Zac said:

Hey all,

What suggestions do you have for breeder boxes for guppies? Unfortunately the seller I’m buying from only sells in pairs with additional fry(unsexed). So I can’t get one male to 3 females. I’ll need a breeder box to start out for obvious reasons. What do you guys suggest? I’m thinking the Fluval multichambered box or the ziss box 

I absolutely am in love with the fluval hang on breeder boxes. I have used them for many different purposes. One was to hold guppy fry in the large size so I know it would work!!

20220622_202417.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Add me the Fluval/Marina breeder box fan club. I've been using them for years and they're great. I keep them up on the tanks even with no fry and life thrives in them. With water flowing through them whatever life is in the box eventually gets streamed into the tank and helps feed the fish in the tank, very much like a marine tank refugium. Just put some moss, or plant life of some kind in there and the box will be teeming with life in no time. If you get fry, they'll eat the stuff living in the box. If you don't get fry the stuff living in the box will trickle into your attached tank and feed the fish in there. It's a win/win.

• Like 2

I have used the fluval boxes as well. Grab a bit of filter media and add it to the over flow back to the tank. Helps keep from washing any fry back into the main tank. I carefully siphon out the fluval hang on tank with a bit of airline tubing, but its hard to foul the water since its getting a constant water change with water from the tank its attached to.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 1:30 PM, Zac said:

Hey all,

I have had success with this floating box from Petco with guppy fry. The only word of caution with it is some of the smallest of fry could possibly squeeze through the crack if you are quick to move it around, or "lifting" it.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-isolation-and-breeder-fish-tank

This could be a cheap option to get you started until getting anything nicer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 12:05 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I absolutely am in love with the fluval hang on breeder boxes. I have used them for many different purposes. One was to hold guppy fry in the large size so I know it would work!!

1000% agreed.  Especially if you hook it up to a metal valve and can tune the flow of air into the box and make it nice and quiet!

I have used the cheap-o mesh ones, plastic ones, they all aren't big enough or just don't attach well to a tank.  The nice thing about the Fluval (i.e. marina) boxes is that they work well without impeding on the tank itself.  They don't sit in the tank and so you have this specimen container type of interaction and can use it with a normal versatop lid without much hassle.  I took a little piece of airline hose, cut it open on one end to cover the edge of the glass from marking the plastic and that worked well too.

The ziss ones are nice, but again.... I think you can do a lot more with the hang-on back style ones.

The mesh ones are okay for some fish but for fry that lie on the mesh (plecos, corys, etc.) adults outside the mesh can pick them through the mesh and kill them. If you use a mesh fry box, I'd line the bottom with something if you're trying to raise plecos or corys in one. I love the Fluval/Marina boxes though. They're pretty nearly perfect.