Mystery snail eggs

Jstewart0925

Hi! I have a mystery snail egg journal. The link is in my signature line below. It was my first time hatching the eggs, and I did it and I think it’s cool! Mine hatched on 6/8 and I have another clutch that has been hatching a snail here & there.  My egg journal shows everything I did to  hatch the eggs and afterwards the snails can be sold to the local fish store.

I let a couple of clutches hatch last year. Probably had upwards of 100 of them. I have 10 aquariums, so I kept trying to redistribute them since I wanted some clean up crew additions. Many smaller ones would die quickly or get eaten by assassin snails. Probably 30 or 40 became full size adults. Gave some to friend. I remove clutches every week from various tanks. The sheer number that hatch are fun once or twice, but they can really take over a tank and mess with the bioload. I’d only recommend it as a regular thing if you have a dedicated breeding tank. But they are super easy to have a never ending supply of snails. When the larger ones die of old age (golf ball or larger) I like to keep the shells. Maybe a future shell dweller tank?

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:44 AM, Jstewart0925 said:

They mate like crazy

You know they can hold fertilized eggs for several months?  I mean, I've gotten 4 or 5 clutches and I only ever bought 1 snail!  I'm raising some of the babies now.  The snail started laying eggs 2 or 2.5 months after I got her, and they were viable eggs.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 6/26/2022 at 9:32 PM, The Goatee said:

I let a couple of clutches hatch last year. Probably had upwards of 100 of them. I have 10 aquariums, so I kept trying to redistribute them since I wanted some clean up crew additions. Many smaller ones would die quickly or get eaten by assassin snails. Probably 30 or 40 became full size adults. Gave some to friend. I remove clutches every week from various tanks. The sheer number that hatch are fun once or twice, but they can really take over a tank and mess with the bioload. I’d only recommend it as a regular thing if you have a dedicated breeding tank. But they are super easy to have a never ending supply of snails. When the larger ones die of old age (golf ball or larger) I like to keep the shells. Maybe a future shell dweller tank?

A shell dweller tank from snails you hatched would be cool to have. 

On 6/25/2022 at 8:20 PM, Jstewart0925 said:

First time I got mystery snail eggs😳😳 got two clutches  A19E6BCD-B6DA-4D1C-AD90-5F36B80FB4B4.jpeg.11aa3830512e16072f547f1cd4ae2276.jpeg

Just a heads up but it's likely this clutch is not fertile. Their first one tends to be small and infertile. If you want babies feel free to incubate it and try, just be prepared to have to wait for another one. 

Also, make sure you have the space for them if you do choose to hatch them. They can have 50-200 babies inside. It's recommended 5 snails per gallon for raising them and the biiload can get intense at the end of 2 months which is when people tend to start to rehome. 

Here's some pics of my magenta and purple snabies!  If you have any questions regarding incubating or hatching let me know!

20220624_225335.jpg

20220603_044528.jpg

20220624_184722.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 7/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, Jstewart0925 said:

They have laid another clutch now for a total of 6

You can freeze the clutches you do not wish to hatch in a Ziplock bag. Once frozen, hammer to crush, then refreeze just in case, then dispose.  (Sounds savage, I know, but trust me, this is the humane way, before any development occurs.) Most of us do not have the capacity to raise 600 snails. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
added more

On 7/6/2022 at 2:27 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

You can freeze the clutches you do not wish to hatch in a Ziplock bag. Once frozen, hammer to crush, then refreeze just in case, then dispose.  (Sounds savage, I know, but trust me, this is the humane way, before any development occurs.) Most of us do not have the capacity to raise 600 snails. 

Oh yes I have kept one clutch and did this method on the others unfortunately. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 8:55 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

It’s helpful to think that if you kept all of them they would not be able to get the best care (water quality, overpopulation, difficult for them to compete for food, etc).

Yes this it true. 

• Like 1