Couple black shrimp in with blues

I bought some blue neos from a big box store to start a colony. I know BBSs aren't the best, but I wanted budget shrimp to get the hang of it.

I think there are a couple blacks in there though. I thought maybe they were just such high grade blue that they were, like, navy. But I'm pretty sure they're black. 

I'm not super precious about my shrimp, so I don't mind experimenting. But I don't want it to be a waste either. Do you think black will mix with blue okay? Maybe make darker blue or something? Or are they just going to come out wild?

On 6/24/2022 at 11:20 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

Blue dream, blue velvet, something like that. They're not terribly picky at these stores. But the shrimp were only $3.79. So that's a safer bet for me untill I really get the hang of it.

Yeah shrimp are kinda crazy expensive imo. Hopefully someone who knows more than me will chime in but I do remember hearing that about blue dreams at least. 

The shrimplets may come out with really cool coloring. It'll be fun to see! I'm no expert, but I did get a few cull shrimp in a variety of colors to start a colony because they were cheap and I don't mind color variations. The shrimplets are showing very cool colors, not just wild, even though the parents didn't start off with "desired" coloration so my guess is you'll probably get some very colorful looking offspring. 

On 6/24/2022 at 9:35 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

I bought some blue neos from a big box store to start a colony. I know BBSs aren't the best, but I wanted budget shrimp to get the hang of it.

I think there are a couple blacks in there though. I thought maybe they were just such high grade blue that they were, like, navy. But I'm pretty sure they're black. 

I'm not super precious about my shrimp, so I don't mind experimenting. But I don't want it to be a waste either. Do you think black will mix with blue okay? Maybe make darker blue or something? Or are they just going to come out wild?

Blue Dreams/Blue Velvet/Blue Dream Velvets are graded on the richness of the blue and the quality (no blemishes) of the shell. The way color genetics and lighting work, you will see some black shrimp in there. You can separate out and start another tank of carbons (black shrimp with that metallic blue gene that will pop up due the genetics of the blue dreams) or leave in there and keep an eye out to make sure you don't get any browns (it will ruin your blues).

Congratualtions, having the black shrimp in thee should give you a wider genetic base, and reduce the number of defects that show up, as long as you don't see any browns or "muddy blues"

If you have no interest in selling/specific aesthetics, then ignore everything I said and just enjoy your shrimp.

Mine hide in the black rocks, the darker the substrate the more of their darker coloring shows up. Lighter substrate and they fade a little bit.

20220426_174724.jpg.b9f47dc6190e9f43d9d652cbd0a6ef1d.jpg

The day they came home, doing drip acclimation

20220502_152246.jpg.d26c3f3a48ab873f175f7ffa9e591b4f.jpg

If you study the gravel and rocks long enough, you can find blue shrimp and shrimplettes. Some are almost black, with a blue sheen, unless I put a light behind them.

1397334109_Screenshot_20220514-154054_Gallery(1).jpg.6e17e61e4f02ac6e46e2dd6102701496.jpg

20220519_163632.jpg.356667274d057421f9c49b7cd0f92a74.jpg