Stocking for New Tank

macdaddy36

Hi, I recently set up a new planted tank. I am looking for stocking options. It is a standard 20 gallon high aquarium. Current stocking list below.

- 5 Harlequin Rasbora

- 1 Mystery Snail

-1 Nerite Snail

-2 Ramshorn Snail (came with plants lol)

Plants include 3 Giant Saggitaria, 1 Amazon Sword, 2 Anubias, 1 Tiger Lotus, and some Water Lettuce.

Aquaneat Light, Aquaneat 20 sponge filter, Aquaclear 30 filter, Nicrew Heater.

I would like to fully stock my tank. The first fish I like are Honey Gouramis, they have both red and gold varieties at my LFS.  I think I would get 3 (1m, 2f), as I have heard they are social fish. I would like to finish off my school with 3 more Harlequin Rasboras but at the time I bought them the LFS only had 5 left (they have more now). The other fish I would like to get are Kuhli Loaches. I would get 5-6 to dwell at the bottom of the tank. I prefer Kuhli Loaches over Corydoras in looks but I am kind of open to both. Really want to try Honey Gouramis though. I would also like to get another Mystery snail so they can maybe breed. Any feedback on my current setup or future stocking list would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4297.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 9:25 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Hi, I recently set up a new planted tank. I am looking for stocking options. It is a standard 20 gallon high aquarium. Current stocking list below.

- 5 Harlequin Rasbora

- 1 Mystery Snail

-1 Nerite Snail

Plants include 3 Giant Saggitaria, 1 Amazon Sword, 2 Anubias, 1 Tiger Lotus, and some Water Lettuce.

I would like to fully stock my tank. The first fish I like are Honey Gouramis, they have both red and gold varieties at my LFS.  I think I would get 3 (1m, 2f), as I have heard they are social fish. I would like to finish off my school with 3 more Harlequin Rasboras but at the time I bought them the LFS only had 5 left (they have more now). The other fish I would like to get are Kuhli Loaches. I would get 5-6 to dwell at the bottom of the tank. I prefer Kuhli Loaches over Corydoras in looks but I am kind of open to both. Really want to try Honey Gouramis though. I would also like to get another Mystery snail so they can maybe breed. Any feedback on my current setup or future stocking list would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4297.jpg

Khuli loaches can be great fish, but they are shy so they like lots of hiding places. For 5-6 I’d probably go with 30 gallons. I think 4 for 20 gallons will be okay. But again you may not see them much because the tank is pretty open. Rest sounds great! Maybe consider like 5 amano shrimp incase you end up getting a hair algae problem or some sort of other algae the snails won’t eat 

I would maybe suggest getting 4 more Harlequins (I like odd numbers, that's just me though) - if you want Kuhlis, I would second @Zac and reduce to 4 and totally agree with the amanos, I have 8 in my 29 and it works great - I also only have 1 Honey gourami as my "centerpiece" fish and he definitely stands out I can always find him even though my tank is a complete jungle now 🙂

I think whatever you do will look amazing and it all sounds good!!

On 6/23/2022 at 8:25 PM, macdaddy36 said:

- 5 Harlequin Rasbora

- 1 Mystery Snail

-1 Nerite Snail

IMG_4297.jpg

I love my honey gourami and I agree that 3 is a good number. I am going to warn you of something because I fell into the trap. Yellow and red honey gourami are NOT the same species. Red honey gourami are actually thick-lipped gourami. Get 3 of one or the other and it will work nicely. I got 2 reds thinking I was helping out my yellow only to discover I wasn't.  I now have 3 of each lol. If it helps your decision at all, I prefer my reds. They are less fearful and out more often as well as much more interactive with each other. 

Good luck!

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2022 at 1:25 AM, Cinnebuns said:

I love my honey gourami and I agree that 3 is a good number. I am going to warn you of something because I fell into the trap. Yellow and red honey gourami are NOT the same species. Red honey gourami are actually thick-lipped gourami. Get 3 of one or the other and it will work nicely. I got 2 reds thinking I was helping out my yellow only to discover I wasn't.  I now have 3 of each lol. If it helps your decision at all, I prefer my reds. They are less fearful and out more often as well as much more interactive with each other. 

Good luck!

Thanks, that really helps because I was planning to buy some red ones.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:25 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Good luck!

I think that might have been an issue with where you purchased them. There are various different names used for red or gold -appearing Honey Gouramis (Sunset Honey Gourami for example) but I can tell you that you can purchase both red and gold varieties of Trichogaster chuna (also referred to as Colisa chuna in some places) species which is what we know as the Honey Gourami. The thick lipped Gourami is Trichogaster labiosa. The domestic red variety of the thick lipped gourami does look extremely similar to the red variety of Honey Gourami, so is often sold at shops under that name, but they are different species and true red T. chuna are out there.

The main difference between chuna and labiosa is that labiosa will get about 75% larger.