Cycling

macdaddy36

My 20 gallon high planted fish tank had been cycling for about a week when I went to buy a few fish to continue the cycle. I got 5 Harlequin Rasboras from my LFS a few days ago. (I will get more when it is done cycling.) I have been feeding my fish for 3 days and still have had almost 0 reading of Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate. (I say almost because a couple days ago I had 0.25 ppm Ammonia.) My test kit is an API All-in-one liquid test kit. Is it possible that the Ammonia is being consumed by the plants as soon as it is created by fish waste. I am a beginner and this is kind of confusing for me. There is a picture of the tank below. 

Thanks!

IMG_4297.jpg

• Love 1

Highly unlikely that the cycle is complete. NitrAtes should have a reading <0 after cycling. You would have to have a lot more plants to have 0 Nitrates.. Even then; I might be unsure about it.

Have you been tracking your daily water tests somewhere to show what your readings have been? This would be tremendously helpful for us to see your cycling progress.

Edited by Jeff

On 6/23/2022 at 3:23 PM, Jeff said:

Highly unlikely that the cycle is complete. NitrAtes should have a reading <0 after cycling. You would have to have a lot more plants to have 0 Nitrates.. Even then; I might be unsure about it.

Have you been tracking your daily water tests somewhere to show what your readings have been? This would be tremendously helpful for us to see your cycling progress.

Belo is a chart where I have been keeping track.

IMG_4300.jpg

From my experience, my plants suck up nitrates, but ammonia would still get through to convert to nitrite and such so I dont think your plants are consuming it all. Id just keep monitoring the parameters as it's only been a few days with light stocking and decent water volume. 

Plants will use ammonia so they will help. The cycle does take some time and I’ve never seen it work out where there was a quick cycle unless you use media from an established tank. 

looks like it is going well for you. Just stay on testing. The ammonia and nitrites can build rapidly in a stocked tank. So, just don’t get relaxed on checking it. 

you are doing great. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@macdaddy36, your plants are probably sucking up some of the ammonia. Those five little Rasboras aren’t making much waste. If you keep up with water changes you’ll keep the toxins to a minimum and before you know it the tank will be cycled.
Part of the reason that fish in cycling developed a bad reputation is because people would get a new tank and immediately overstock it. For instance a 10 gal with two Angels, a school of Tetras, a Pleco and a school of Corydoras. Before you know it the toxins are out of control and fish are dying. 
In your case, the 20 gal with just five Rasboras and lots of plants, the process should be easy to manage. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 2:18 PM, macdaddy36 said:

Yeah I will test everyday and do water changes at least every other day for the next few weeks.

I would personally change less water. We typically change water to get rid of nitrates, you don't have any so I'd step back to once a week max. At least while cycling and keeping an eye on parameters.  Good luck! I think your doing great so far!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 10:34 PM, Chrisanderson707 said:

I would personally change less water. We typically change water to get rid of nitrates, you don't have any so I'd step back to once a week max. At least while cycling and keeping an eye on parameters.  Good luck! I think your doing great so far!

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:57 PM, Mitch_ScruffyCityAquatics said:

Plants will use ammonia so they will help. The cycle does take some time and I’ve never seen it work out where there was a quick cycle unless you use media from an established tank. 

looks like it is going well for you. Just stay on testing. The ammonia and nitrites can build rapidly in a stocked tank. So, just don’t get relaxed on checking it. 

you are doing great. 

Yup, Still no Ammonia, or Nitrite.

On 6/24/2022 at 5:59 PM, AndEEss said: