Bladder snails....

BuzzDaddy21

012.JPG.385c2356edc3fff565153e66a99ef3ac.JPG011.JPG.5062136a3cda5b1363361f8ed1b4362d.JPG010.JPG.da6c798e985167d62e56d315218ab26a.JPG008.JPG.50428c1c96fb948347b1d43b076465e9.JPGWell, a while back I torn down a 40B because of bladder snails, after about a month set back up with new gravel and those rascals are back. Tank has been running for a few months now. I got in the habit of crushing some snails at the water line been doing this for about a week and noticed that the pygmy cory's liked to snack on them also the shrimp will steal them away from the cory`s. (Only have black shrimp and 12 pygmy cory`s and MTS and trapdoor snails and ramshorn snails in tank.) is it normal for shrimp /fish to do this. 

Yup totally normal, I took to smooshing small ramshorns for my platies when the population got out of control, they loved them as a treat. Heck, even the bristlenose pleco and the albino cories went nuts for them.

I figure that the food we feed them is made from other fish, so really what's the difference? It's just really fresh, and locally sourced 😅

• Thanks 1

Yup. Many fish are omnivorous. You are feeding them meat. Those do look like small ramshorns. I wait until 1 hour after total dark and look in from the side at the front glass. (Use flashlight)All my bladder snails collect their for a town meeting to decide on the evenings activities.  I net out all the ones that are not my gold bladder snails and toss them in a bucket with plant trimmings I intend to discard and give them to the fish store to give away as puffer food etc. I do not know if ramshorns have town hall meetings on the front glass but it does help control the population if they do.  
take care in how many you smoosh (I do smoosh some for my fish and shrimp it keeps them in the food chain) they do release ammonia as all dead organisms do. A few is ok but total slaughter house 5 could be a problem. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 3

On 6/23/2022 at 12:45 PM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

012.JPG.385c2356edc3fff565153e66a99ef3ac.JPG011.JPG.5062136a3cda5b1363361f8ed1b4362d.JPG010.JPG.da6c798e985167d62e56d315218ab26a.JPG008.JPG.50428c1c96fb948347b1d43b076465e9.JPGWell, a while back I torn down a 40B because of bladder snails, after about a month set back up with new gravel and those rascals are back. Tank has been running for a few months now. I got in the habit of crushing some snails at the water line been doing this for about a week and noticed that the pygmy cory's liked to snack on them also the shrimp will steal them away from the cory`s. (Only have black shrimp and 12 pygmy cory`s and MTS and trapdoor snails and ramshorn snails in tank.) is it normal for shrimp /fish to do this. 

Your red ramshorns are actually sought after, especially if they maintain their vibrant red through adulthood.

Yes, fish and shrimp love being able to eat fresh food, especially if you don't offer them more than they can eat at once. You can also throw a large batch in the blender with ice, make mini icecubes and feed later (I add some food to the mix, and my turtle is also appreciative).

My endlers eat the eggs and any young snails they can find, so my endler tanks have been fairly stable in population.

Thanks for all of the replies however, I only crush bladder snails (They are in one tank only.) I know the pictures are not very good but it's a bladder snail that you see. I do like ramshorn snails they are in all tanks along with mts snails and I do thin out the ramshorns once in a while. Ramshorn color started out as orange with a gold strip (Still have that color) then went into different colors mostly dark even some with spots. I don`t know how big a ramshorn get but I have some that seem huge. 

I will try and get better pictures of the ramshorns I think they look more orange than red or maybe I don`t pay enough attention. Thanks again all.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...