Celebrate the CARE Forum's Second Anniversary with us!

Hobbit

976394921_NermWeek2022Banner.jpg.ec8a01592ded8447259eddc12587ae18.jpg

The C.A.R.E. forum is turning 2 on July 14!

Last year's celebrations were such a success that we're throwing a virtual party again this year. 🎉

You can look forward to these events during the week of July 14, which we've dubbed "NERM week." Instructions about how to participate will soon appear all around the forum. Search for the tags "nerm week" and "nerm week 2022" to find all the events, or follow this topic, since we'll be adding links in the comments.

There should be something for everyone. We hope you'll join us!

The Events:

• Aquascaping Competition: Similar to last year, @FlyingFishKeeper will be organizing a contest where you submit photos and people vote using the reaction emojis. Details will be forthcoming.
  • What Did You Learn This Year? Tell us the most significant, important, or useful thing you learned about the fish hobby this year. After all, this forum is all about learning! @Beardedbillygoat1975 will be hosting this thread.
  • Re-Written Directions Competition: Ever feel frustrated that some directions in this hobby are confusing or hard to remember? Here's your chance to re-write those directions in a way that's clearer and more entertaining. @Torrey is our host for this one!
  • Ultimate Fish Room Design Contest: Fish keepers gone wild! @xXInkedPhoenixX is getting us all in trouble by asking us to imagine and sketch out our dream fish room. Your only limit is your imagination!
  • Taco Eating Contest: Back by popular demand! @TheDukeAnumber1 is once again hosting and will print a trophy for the winner. If you can eat, you should participate in this contest because if we don't get at least 3 participants (NOT including TheDuke), there will be no trophy. 😲

Some of these events will require you to plan ahead, so be sure to watch this thread for links to each event's instruction post.

Whether you've been here for one day or a full two years, we hope you'll join us in celebrating this amazing corner of the fishy internet.

Happy Anniversary, C.A.R.E. Forum!

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 4

@BradleyH20 Cory accidently mentioned the word on a live stream one time. He wasn't intending to say it, as he was about to say something else. It just came out as 'nerm'. People in the chat then started to come up with a definition.

Long story short: the official definition has become - someone who 'nerds out' with the hobby...but is a 'normal' person in their every day life outside the hobby...combining those has come to be 'Nerm'.

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 6/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, Jeff said:

@BradleyH20 Cory accidently mentioned the word on a live stream one time. He wasn't intending to say it, as he was about to say something else. It just came out as 'nerm'. People in the chat then started to come up with a definition.

Long story short: the official definition has become - someone who 'nerds out' with the hobby...but is a 'normal' person in their every day life outside the hobby...combining those has come to be 'Nerm'.

Thanks for the explanation Jeff. I looked it up on the internet, but nothing met the context. I would consider myself to be a Junior Nerm or a Nerm in training lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2022 at 12:45 PM, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Hello all, if you intend to participate in the Taco Eating Contest please @me in this thread or shoot me a PM so I can get a tally when I create the contest thread. 🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮🌮

My Patient Spouse™ (aka The Reluctant Nerm™) said it would be a sin and a culinary crime to not participate in tacos. So, x2?

On 6/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, BradleyH20 said:

Stupid question, as I've seen this word thrown around quite a bit...what is a Nerm?

No such thing as a "stupid question" here, unless you never ask and don't learn. Honest!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Alas, I will be traveling that day so I don't think I can participate in the taco eating contest. I am going to focus on the What I Learned and Ultimate Fish Room Design celebrations....now to decide whether my Ultimate Fish Room design should be totally fantasy-based (as in I have a full time staff to maintain it while I lounge around snacking) or whether it needs to be the ultimate design for my actual life, in which case it has to be easy to take care of and fit into my hat-sized home...

Decisions, decisions... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/23/2022 at 12:27 PM, Jeff said:

The term "Nerm" is actually in the Urban Dictionary with full credit to Cory 😎🤗

Edited by Kaylish
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 6/23/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jeff said:

Hey, NERM is in my dictionary!  I know ‘cause I wrote it there!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 11:45 AM, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

Hello all, if you intend to participate in the Taco Eating Contest please @me in this thread or shoot me a PM so I can get a tally when I create the contest thread.

I am making some Chicken shawarma tacos tonight for dinner.  Pretty good and a bit light.  If you want some "inspiration" for alternate taco options 😉

@Torrey Was the one you're running something that was ran on year 1?  I'd love to see some examples if possible.  Seems like an interesting challenge.

I feel like I should have something for @Beardedbillygoat1975's contest, but I really don't know how much progress, if any, I've really made recently....  :classic_sad:

Again, really awesome stuff. Thank you everyone for putting this stuff together.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:53 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I am making some Chicken shawarma tacos tonight for dinner.  Pretty good and a bit light.  If you want some "inspiration" for alternate taco options 😉

@Torrey Was the one you're running something that was ran on year 1?  I'd love to see some examples if possible.  Seems like an interesting challenge.

I feel like I should have something for @Beardedbillygoat1975's contest, but I really don't know how much progress, if any, I've really made recently....  :classic_sad:

Again, really awesome stuff. Thank you everyone for putting this stuff together.

No, this is a whole new shebang that was born out of my writing directions for someone who kept getting 0 nitrates with their API Master Kit.

I shared my chem professor's directions from college:

"1. Fill clean test tube with 5 ml aquarium water

2. Shake reagent #1 until arm is sore, have lab partner start aggressively shaking reagent #2 (minimum of 30 seconds, or until partner's arm falls off)

3.  Add 10 drops of reagent #1 to test tube, ensuring the reagent bottle is completely vertical

4. Cap test tube and invert repeatedly until reagent and water are mixed in solution

5. Take reagent #2 from partner, add 10 drops of reagent #2 to test tube, making sure reagent bottle is completely vertical

6. Cap test tube and shake vigorously, until you wish your arm would fall off, for one minute

7. Set test tube in rack and

8. Start timer for 5 minutes

No, you don't actually have to shake reagent #1, but if I tell you to shake both, you won't forget to shake reagent #2

Yes, I do mean you need to shake until your arm is ready to fall off, which is generally 30 seconds before the one minute is up."

Link to the contest:

• Like 3

On 7/3/2022 at 9:32 PM, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

@Hobbit

@Its Hutch

Sry guys I had to go out of town unexpectedly until after the holiday 😞  I can't give the contest the attention it needs / deserves. That being said if someone wants to take up the mantle I'll still happily provide this years trophy.

I hope everything is okay, you'll be missed! @Hobbit thank you for keeping it going/taking up the mantle!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 11:00 PM, Torrey said:

No, this is a whole new shebang that was born out of my writing directions for someone who kept getting 0 nitrates with their API Master Kit.

That reminds me of the "how to make a PB&J challenge" we did in school growing up.  HOPEFULLY everyone laughs when I say that and doesn't go "yep, I'm the one that didn't get a sandwich" 😂

I'll have to think of something with directions that need improving. I do have an idea, but potentially it's too simple.  🤔

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 1:28 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

That reminds me of the "how to make a PB&J challenge" we did in school growing up.  HOPEFULLY everyone laughs when I say that and doesn't go "yep, I'm the one that didn't get a sandwich" 😂

I'll have to think of something with directions that need improving. I do have an idea, but potentially it's too simple.  🤔

No such thing as too simple! Pick an aquarium product, any product, and rewrite directions to your heart's content!

• Like 2

I think rewriting instructions is a great thing @Torrey @nabokovfan87. I took a training class for work (on teaching in my industry + the difficulties of adult learning) our last "project" was to re-write instructions and do a demo. I rewrote the instructions (illustrated in this case) and my project partner followed them in a demo. In this case it was feeding hummingbirds- which he'd never done- so it was truly a learning experience for my project partner. He ended up taking up the hobby and sent me pictures later. It was pretty cool 

Resized_20220705_080516.jpg

• Love 4