Chlorine/Chloramin Home Filter

DavidR

I'd like to setup an automatic water change system. I know my water has chloramin and I'm assuming chlorine as well.

What filters are people using for their water in order to get rid of these chemicals? Is it best to just add a whole home system or should I add a set of filters in-line for my auto water changes?

So its typically chlorine or chloramine.  If you have chloramine, you could use a catalytic carbon media to remove the chloramine for you.   The prefilter for a reverse osmosis system often are equipped (and often do use catalytic carbon) to remove chloramine if present. 

Edited by Ben_RF
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, josh@jtri.com said:

I'm wondering about this too.  I'm getting into a reef tank now, so I've just set up a RODI unit.   Will using the water that goes through only the sediment filter and carbon block be sufficient?   Does that still pull out anything that needs to be replaced?

I meant this in context of water usage for freshwater tanks.  The reef tank water will of course go through the whole RODI system.

35 minutes ago, Ben_RF said:

In my own home, I only use water for my freshwater tanks that have gone through the catalytic carbon filter or use prime to treat.  A regular carbon filter will not remove chloramine.  

Can you explain what a catalytic carbon filter does that a normal carbon filter doesn't do?

Catalytic carbon is made by modifying the surface area of activated carbon often for the general purposes of removing hydrogen sulfide and chloramine. Catalytic carbon is made by putting the carbon through high temperatures to change the structure of the carbon (I am not a chemistry guy, sorry! So I really don't know what this means but I do know it does something and gets the job done REALLY good.) to give it greater functionality and capability.  

You may be better served by googling it to be honest or have someone who knows chemistry here to tell you.  I just know thats the purpose we use it for in plumbing. 

You can also buy catalytic carbon filters you can attach to a hose (like a python) for your tanks too for your water changes. 

Edited by Ben_RF