Mysterious white jelly on tank bottom 😱

Darth Mollusk

I woke up to my newish 29 gallon to find globs of this weird white stuff I'd never seen before. It's like wet toilet paper if toilet paper were made of jelly. It breaks up when I try to pick it up. It's almost like very very thin calamari or something.

Any thoughts? I added a bunch of new plants yesterday, and I can't imagine that's a coincidence. But what is it? 

The only thing in there is a mystery snail who had to be separated because he was mounting the others so much he was wearing down their shells, and two amano shrimp. All look happy as clams.BFAA6D6A-1A08-4D10-B57B-194869FC8BC4.jpeg.5f59409384f2e7ebd68b7c51b06ec2c8.jpeg

Tank has been running about 10 days with one Co-op sponge filter and a HOB with established filter media. Sand substrate capping eco-complete with a little bit of soil on the bottom. 

Temp: 75

PH: 7.5

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: between .25 and.5 (API kit) and I'm about to do a 50% water change. 

I dose with Easy Green, and my well water has iron in it. I've got a number of emersed plants, too--pothos and peace lily. I also use Co-op root tabs. I've got drift wood, ludwigia, a red dwarf lily bulb starting to sprout, cryps, java fern, anubias, four leaf clover, cardinal plant4768E13F-947B-4278-BB66-F1FC6DF56F90.jpeg.2128ff94b2db54478cbc759cfeecff57.jpegD639379D-0978-4003-8B0C-30345B2181AB.jpeg.191e4bddfb0c03d6d12ae00377569254.jpeg Everything was going so well 🤦‍♂️

Edited by DarthMollusk
Add details

On 6/23/2022 at 9:26 AM, Cheryl P. said:

Hah!  Yeah I kind of freaked out when I first saw that too.  It took me a bit to figure out that it was a root tab shell. 🤭

My first assumption is always chaos and destruction that I somehow caused. And I certainly caused it, but it's not quite chaos and destruction 😆🙈

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Depending on your tank build, you can nix the capsule entirely to avoid the annoying floating or turning to jelly. My last setup I cut the tips off the capsules and just dumped the contents into the bottom of the tank before putting in my sand layer on top.

• 4 months later...

Definitely a root tab capsule. I went down this road too. I was like what is that? The capsule is harmless the the animals and if you swish it around it will dissolve all the way. They definitely disintegrate when you try to pick them up after they have been there for while.