Live food that float

dan12boy

Hey y’all. I have some clown killis and I tried feeding them live brine shrimp. One of them ate them relatively well because he went a little below the very top of the water and was able to get some in the water column while the other two just stayed at the top looking for what I dropped in. So I wanted to know if there’s any other live food that’ll stay at the very top when I feed them so my killis can participate in eating them some more because I really want the male to color up.

My guppy babies are not always the brightest bulbs in the pack at first and stay skimming the top while BBS floats away. I use a pipette and hold it at the surface and allow the bbs to drip out. Once the see it’s food it only takes a time or two and the begin chasing it about as they see it leave the pipette and follow it. 

On 6/23/2022 at 6:55 AM, gardenman said:

Wingless fruit flies might be another option for you. They're considered an ideal food for pencilfish and hatchetfish. They're small, float, are easily cultured, and affordable.

Okay thank you! Is it a certain species of fruit flies that have no wings? Or they just can’t fly?  

On 6/23/2022 at 7:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

My guppy babies are not always the brightest bulbs in the pack at first and stay skimming the top while BBS floats away. I use a pipette and hold it at the surface and allow the bbs to drip out. Once the see it’s food it only takes a time or two and the begin chasing it about as they see it leave the pipette and follow it. 

That’s really smart! Need to get myself a pipette then to try this, my baby guppies are still one of the only fish in my 75 so they go all over rather than just staying at the top. 

• Like 1

You’ll want to get “wingless” vs “flightless” since flightless often revert to flighted and escapees will be all over your house.  Even the wingless ones can revert and if any wild type get into your culture it’s a big problem since they will definitely be all over your house.

On 6/22/2022 at 7:26 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

I'm pretty sure vinegar eels stay at the top. 

Vinegar eels are attracted to light, so they don’t strictly stay at the top.

Edited by Odd Duck
Fix typos.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:38 AM, Odd Duck said:

You’ll want to get “wingless” vs “flightless” since flightless often revert to flighted and escapees will be all over your house.  Even the wingless ones can revert and if wold type get into your culture it’s a big problem since they will definitely be all over your house.

Vinegar eels are attracted to light, so they don’t strictly stay at the top.

Dang the fruit fly thing seems like it might end up being a problem, need to some research on that. Gonna acquire vinegar eels and those worms, I think whiteworms? in the coming weeks probably.

On 6/23/2022 at 3:59 PM, Torrey said:

My fish' favorite top floating food is mosquito larvae. They always have to return to the top to breathe.

The thing about that the larvae first go into the water column and get obliterated by my gertrudae rainbowfish and guppy fry before they even have a chance to resurface. 

On 6/23/2022 at 8:14 PM, dan12boy said:

Dang the fruit fly thing seems like it might end up being a problem, need to some research on that. Gonna acquire vinegar eels and those worms, I think whiteworms? in the coming weeks probably.

The thing about that the larvae first go into the water column and get obliterated by my gertrudae rainbowfish and guppy fry before they even have a chance to resurface. 

Remember the recommendation about syringe feeding? If you slowly and carefully syringe larvae onto plants, they don't end up in the water column. They will hide in the plants. Just be sure to check they have all been eaten before feeding more, or you wake up in the middle of the night with a mosquito in your ear....

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2022 at 10:02 PM, Torrey said:

you wake up in the middle of the night with a mosquito in your ear

Funny, that sounds like experience speaking.  😝 This is exactly why I don’t try to culture mosquito larvae.  I’m the mosquito magnet around our house.  I’m not trying to grow any and yet I can sit in my living room, minding my own business, and get hit by mosquitos.

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 11:08 AM, Odd Duck said:

Funny, that sounds like experience speaking.  😝 This is exactly why I don’t try to culture mosquito larvae.  I’m the mosquito magnet around our house.  I’m not trying to grow any and yet I can sit in my living room, minding my own business, and get hit by mosquitos.

Yes, it was experience!

I brought in some plants from the pond (azolla) that had more larvae than I realized....🧐🤣