What is the Most Reliable Method to Repair a 30g Long Rim

eddie462

This is a standard 30g long 36"x13"x16" and the bottom rim on one side is partially missing. On the visible side you can see how much is gone, and the rim on the adjacent short side is missing as well. The other two panes of glass have the rim attached. What would be the safest method to replace the rim? The only video on YouTube that I could find is this one.

I have made a 10g tank rimless paludarium and it didn't leak water. I placed the paludarium onto a styrofoam mat and it was fine. I moved the paludarium, I drained all of the water and sand but I left the rocks and gravel the terrestrial plants are in. The tank was stuck and I was trying to wiggle it to loosen to and pick it up. Well a side pane cracked and now I have to replace that pane. I included this story as I am worried that this happening to this 30g if I make it rimless. If I did make it rimless I would brace the aquarium like in this video.

IMG_4930.JPG

My greatest concern is this corner I've circled. It this chipped glass??

162473174_DamagedTankRim.png.ac0ccf0807117b08183244b22d0b875a.png

For what it's worth, I'd probably not use the tank. Even a very small tank -- 10 gallons -- cracked and drained out on your floor is a major mess. Multiply that 3x, and I think you'd thank me for encouraging you to buy a new tank of similar size at a $ / per gallon sale . . . if such things exist anymore.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 6/22/2022 at 8:21 AM, Cheryl P. said:

There's a company in Michigan name Over The Edge that makes fish tank rims.  I have a couple of tanks that need new rims but haven't gotten around to fixing them yet.  The prices seem reasonable but I wonder about shipping.  I have family that lives near them so I just figured I'd pick them up when I'm ready.

https://aquariumframeswholesale.com/

Cool site. Will bookmark for future.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:21 AM, Cheryl P. said:

There's a company in Michigan name Over The Edge that makes fish tank rims.  I have a couple of tanks that need new rims but haven't gotten around to fixing them yet.  The prices seem reasonable but I wonder about shipping.  I have family that lives near them so I just figured I'd pick them up when I'm ready.

https://aquariumframeswholesale.com/

Thank you for the link. I’ll order from that store. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 8:25 AM, Fish Folk said:

My greatest concern is this corner I've circled. It this chipped glass??

162473174_DamagedTankRim.png.ac0ccf0807117b08183244b22d0b875a.png

For what it's worth, I'd probably not use the tank. Even a very small tank -- 10 gallons -- cracked and drained out on your floor is a major mess. Multiply that 3x, and I think you'd thank me for encouraging you to buy a new tank of similar size at a $ / per gallon sale . . . if such things exist anymore.

It is not chipped glass, it is white paint from a sloppy paint job at the previous owner's house. I will check again. The aquarium was holding water for over a year, as visited their house multiple times. The inside silicone is good but I will reseal it anyways for safety.

• Like 1