endler guppy tank mates

SC Fish

4 endler guppy males in a 5 gall.

Going to upgrade the 5 gall to a 10 gall once the fish 10 gall have their new 20 gall home. What can i put in with the endlers? Want some calm fish..

Or maybe i should just leave it and have lots of room for them? (Heavily planted)

Maybe do something else for the 10 gall and leave them in the 5 gall? I dont know.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 8:57 PM, JettsPapa said:

Shrimp would work well.  I wouldn't put other fish in a 10 gallon tank with endlers.

Yeah ok , for sure ! 

But i got 3 already. Do shrimp breed easily?? Because i got 3 of the same gender (not sure which) and dont rly want breeding

On 6/21/2022 at 3:23 PM, SC Fish said:

Yeah ok , for sure ! 

But i got 3 already. Do shrimp breed easily?? Because i got 3 of the same gender (not sure which) and dont rly want breeding

Shrimp do breed easily, but if you got the same gender they won't reproduce unless they're female and were berried (carrying fertilized eggs under their abdomen) when you got them.  I assume you'd have noticed if that was the case.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't want them breeding?  An astonishing amount can fit in a tank without it being crowded, and their bioload is negligible.

You could do more endlers of course! You could easily have 10 endlers in a 10gallon. Or you could dive into some nano fish to be kept with them, like clown killifish. They would do well in a heavily planted tank. Alongside or instead of shrimp, you could also do pygmy corydoras. I loved my 10 gallon with nano fish!! At such a small size they don't get much cuter than that 😍

On 6/22/2022 at 2:44 PM, JettsPapa said:

Shrimp do breed easily, but if you got the same gender they won't reproduce unless they're female and were berried (carrying fertilized eggs under their abdomen) when you got them.  I assume you'd have noticed if that was the case.

Do you mind if I ask why you don't want them breeding?  An astonishing amount can fit in a tank without it being crowded, and their bioload is negligible.

well, its just a 10 gallon, now im pretty sure the endler guppys will pick them off, they are pricks , but for the ones that get big enough wont be eaten, therefore i really dont need breeding.

can i ask how to tell if ones female or male??

and how many babys do they get?

they are amano shrimp 

and its freshwater , 25 degrees

Edited by SC Fish

On 6/22/2022 at 10:00 AM, SC Fish said:

can i ask how to tell if ones female or male??

Female shrimp are larger than males, and the abdomen (the back portion, behind the legs) is especially larger on the females.  See the pictures below.  The yellow shrimp is a male, and the red one is female.

On 6/22/2022 at 10:00 AM, SC Fish said:

they are amano shrimp 

I had assumed you had neocaridina shrimp (red cherry, or one of the other colors).  They breed readily if the water conditions are right, and have very tiny fully formed young.  Amano shrimp, however, have a larval stage that requires brackish water, so they won't reproduce in your tank.

image.png.739e067a207a84262be041336c70c871.png

image.png.bcae5e9ec5e7c8be89bea067e3a3643f.png

Edited by JettsPapa

On 6/22/2022 at 8:08 PM, JettsPapa said:

Female shrimp are larger than males, and the abdomen (the back portion, behind the legs) is especially larger on the females.  See the pictures below.  The yellow shrimp is a male, and the blue one is female.

I had assumed you had neocaridina shrimp (red cherry, or one of the other colors).  They breed readily if the water conditions are right, and have very tiny fully formed young.  Amano shrimp, however, have a larval stage that requires brackish water, so they won't reproduce in your tank.

image.png.739e067a207a84262be041336c70c871.png

image.png.bcae5e9ec5e7c8be89bea067e3a3643f.png

thanks man! came to the conclusion mine are all males! and also thank you for the info!

I keep guppies, CPD & emerald rasboras with endlers no issue. If you plant it, the happier nano fish tend to be. They know they are prey. You could also do a dwarf Mexican crayfish (they top out around 1.5-2 inches). Ours have plenty of personality and are too big to get bullied by an endler. We have never had one nip unprovoked -  but in theory they have the ability and could. I’ve only seen an attempt when the fish needed to learn. Fish kept investigating and shoving, crayfish nipped once - no further issues. Fish learned, crayfish carried on life. 

I second @macdaddy36's recommendation of a Honey Gourami if you are looking for a centerpiece fish. If you are looking for something to inhabit the bottom of the 10 gallon, I truly love Corydoras Habrosus. Unlike other dwarf dories (pygmy and hastatus) that will swim all around the aquarium, they behave much like other corydoras species, with the great activity along the substrate.