Water top off vs Lid with Fluval 3.0

drawnitsud

Hello again everyone!

My 29gall tall tank received a light upgrade to the Fluval 3.0 a while ago, so I completely removed the stock lid. I was getting some heat fluctuations with the lid on (generally ~3 degrees) because the placement of the tank does not receive great air flow and we have had this ridiculous heat wave going on. I set my lights on the pre-programmed PRO mode which was a LOT of light and so now I am battling algae, but that is a whole other topic! Also of note, I removed my canister filter that was really for a 65 gallon and was generating way too much flow for my new fish (will start another topic to show them off 🙂 ) and now just have two medium-sized sponge filters running with respective air-stones.

So I have a few questions about what my options are after observing a pretty healthy amount of evaporation (and subsequently bc of the cooling, my heater kicking on more):

1. Is there a recommended way for topping off my tank (other than adding some Prime to the top-off water)? I know minerals will not evaporate and so the chances of OTS (old tank syndrome) could eventually come into play. I check my water for pH/NH/NO2/NO3 every couple of days still and because it is fairly heavily planted, I have no problems with increasing Nitrates. In fact, I add some easy green to add some back in to try and hover around 15-20 ppm. 
  2. Are there lid options with the Fluval 3.0? Obviously the standard lids don't work and I am not sure if the heat fluctuations from ~73 - 76 degrees Fahrenheit vs topping off the water is better or worse. Was the fluctuations in temps stressing the fish? I realize as a new hobbyist, I am probably overreacting to that small amount because it probably happens often in the wild. But still, I was concerned. 

My tanks get direct sun Part of each day so they fluctuate between 2-4 degrees daily. I feel this is healthy for my fish and builds strength and tolerance.  In the wild daily temperature fluctuations are normal. I have never had an issue my fish all breed like crazy. They seem happy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would only add that topping off should be with 0TDS water (RO/distilled). 

To strike a balance, you can separate the top into 2 sections and just use 1 section.

Off topic,

Using a spray bar with the canister filter disperses flow while maintaining high turnover.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:39 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I would only add that topping off should be with 0TDS water (RO/distilled). 

To strike a balance, you can separate the top into 2 sections and just use 1 section.

Off topic,

Using a spray bar with the canister filter disperses flow while maintaining high turnover.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by "separate the top into 2 sections and just use 1 section"? 

As for the spray bar, it came with 4 sections and I could only fit 3 in my tank (so not as long as intended) but the flow was still so strong (even with a pre-filter sponge) that my shrimp seemed to struggle with getting to where the intended and stayed hidden a lot more (could also be because they were new to the tank). Also, my research on honey gouramis said their natural habitat has low flow. And, being new to the hobby, I probably overreacted and removed the canister filter in favor of the sponge filters 😆 I am definitely a tinkerer by nature

On 6/21/2022 at 1:07 PM, drawnitsud said:

Sorry, not sure what you mean by "separate the top into 2 sections and just use 1 section"? 

As for the spray bar, it came with 4 sections and I could only fit 3 in my tank (so not as long as intended) but the flow was still so strong (even with a pre-filter sponge) that my shrimp seemed to struggle with getting to where the intended and stayed hidden a lot more (could also be because they were new to the tank). Also, my research on honey gouramis said their natural habitat has low flow. And, being new to the hobby, I probably overreacted and removed the canister filter in favor of the sponge filters 😆 I am definitely a tinkerer by nature

Most tops come in sections bound with either plastics or some type of material to allow opening of the forward portion. Simply separate the 2 pieces.

Did you aim the spray bar at the surface?

• Like 2

I have very soft water so I’m not worried about mineral build up. I just take a watering can and top up with tap water each day. 
I don’t worry to much about temps unless I’m actively trying to breed a fish. I generally want temps around the low mid 70s since I have a few fish that are supposed to like slightly cooler water, but as long as it’s under 80 and over 72 I’m happy. Breeding is a different story. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I find hitting the center connecting piece with a hair dryer and gently sliding a butter knife under the seam loosens the two pieces and they slide right off… I know this because I tend to break 1 portion or another … often 🤣 that way I can put 2 non broken pieces together. 

On 6/21/2022 at 3:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

I just take a watering can and top up

Flower, flower, tank, flower, tank, tank 

I can so picture you walking about watering the house 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 6/21/2022 at 10:11 AM, drawnitsud said:

1. Is there a recommended way for topping off my tank (other than adding some Prime to the top-off water)? I know minerals will not evaporate and so the chances of OTS (old tank syndrome) could eventually come into play. I check my water for pH/NH/NO2/NO3 every couple of days still and because it is fairly heavily planted, I have no problems with increasing Nitrates. In fact, I add some easy green to add some back in to try and hover around 15-20 ppm

You can use a dosing pump for water top offs.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:11 AM, drawnitsud said:

Was the fluctuations in temps stressing the fish? I realize as a new hobbyist, I am probably overreacting to that small amount because it probably happens often in the wild. But still, I was concerned. 

They are going to naturally see fluctuations from day to night. I think you're fine. As long as the temps are within range, I wouldn't worry.

There's a lot of good insights here:

https://youtu.be/GO74_ShYgtg

• Thanks 1