Air pump opinions

Zac

Hey all,

what are your guys’ favorite air pumps? I have 2 sponge filters in my 29 gallon. I have 2 aquarium co-op nano pumps but they haven’t been reliable for me. They both stopped working, I got 2 more, and the same thing happened after less than 2 weeks. I’m thinking of going a different route. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

You really can't beat the new co op air pump with built in back up battery. I have been able to run up to 3 sponge filters at the same time on one. And the battery was a life saver when I lost power from a thunderstorm a couple weeks ago. Lost power for about 4 hours and the battery was only down to half way. If I would have set to to the 15 second on off feature I would have had even more battery left 

• Like 3

I like the coop’s new pump. I have some Danner pumps they are well made, I like the metal outlets on them I use them for 4-8 tanks per - 4 outlets per if you need a larger pump but not a fish room sized pump. The tetra whispers are excellent. I do have some Amazon ones that I bought awhile back made in China with lithium battery backup built in but they’re much louder than the coop pump. 

I have one of the co-op air pumps that I use on a tank that is not close to my air loop in my fishroom, and it has been working great for the several months that I have had it running. When I lost power last week, it ran for about 8 hours before the battery was dead. I would have changed the setting to the power save mode, but I wanted to see how long the battery would last running continuous. 

I mostly use the Tetra Whisper pumps. I only buy the smallest ones, and if I need more air, I add a second pump. I have had one quit and discovered that repair kits cost more than a new pump.

I also like the Active Aqua Air Pumps. These are designed for
hydroponics.

I have a bunch of USB pumps. I stopped buying these because the failure rate was unacceptable. However, they are quiet and small, making them useful in some circumstances. Primarily these get used for collecting trips where they can run off of the USB ports in my truck or a rechargeable battery pack.

On 6/21/2022 at 7:43 AM, Robert Keeney said:

I mostly use the Tetra Whisper pumps. I only buy the smallest ones, and if I need more air, I add a second pump. I have had one quit and discovered that repair kits cost more than a new pump.

I also like the Active Aqua Air Pumps. These are designed for
hydroponics.

I have a bunch of USB pumps. I stopped buying these because the failure rate was unacceptable. However, they are quiet and small, making them useful in some circumstances. Primarily these get used for collecting trips where they can run off of the USB ports in my truck or a rechargeable battery pack.

I would have recommended the Active Aqua Air Pumps also as I have one that's nearly silent and has worked great for several years. I bought a second one that sounds like a jet. It's very powerful, but the same make, model, and style, only one is nearly silent and the other one is anything but silent. I've taken both apart to try and figure out why one roars and the other one whispers, but there's nothing that I can see different between the two. Based on my first one, I would highly recommend them. Based on my second one, I would definitely not recommend one. They both put out great amounts of air, but the noise difference from one to the other is extreme. If you buy one, test it for noise. If you get one of the nearly silent ones, keep it. If you don't, return it.

I have two Active Aqua Air Pumps, one with four outlets and one with eight. Both are quiet.

The Tetra Whisper 10 Air pumps are my favorite. They are cheap, $6 today on Amazon. Quiet and last a long time. I have one that has been outdoors for about a year. At $6, keeping a few spares on hand is easy.

I have had noisy Tetra Whisper pumps that were noisy. I corrected the noise by adjusting the position of the magnet.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

I really like this one:

NICREW UFO Aquarium Air Pump, Ultra Silent Air Aerator Pump for Fish Tank, Oxygen Air Pump with Accessories https://a.co/d/3cxSsRL

D53AF9E0-FEF2-4708-BF7E-4A82FF6CE958.png

I’m looking into getting this air pump is it quiet enough for a bedroom tank?

Edited by Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics

I have tried top fin, an unbranded one (I can’t remember where I got it) and the co op brand. Hands down aquarium co-op has the quietest and most reliable. I use on to run two sponge filters and the brine shrimp hatchery, one on my 6g (it’s off in its own part of the house) and one on the 55. I honestly think I’d only need two if all the tanks were closer together in the house. I love the battery back-up and unless your ear is right on it, you can’t hear it. I’d suggest giving them another go because I haven’t found a better one.

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2022 at 11:03 AM, Robert Keeney said:

I have had noisy Tetra Whisper pumps that were noisy. I corrected the noise by adjusting the position of the magnet.

I don't yet have this pump, but was wondering if you can provide more details about adjusting the magnet?

I just got through quieting the ACO battery operated dual output air pump and wondering if there is a similar adjustment that can be made in it.