Accessing US Coop website internationally?

IanB

Hi All,

I hope this is the right section to post this question in… does anyone know how to (short of using a vpn) access the US version of the website from abroad? I am visiting Canada and was trying to put together an order to arrive when I get back in the US but am unable to see the plants and other items unavailable in Canada. On lots of site there is an option to select which country’s site you want to browse, but I don’t see that with the coop site.

I’m excited that Canada now has Coop access though!

Same for me if I try to look at plants - which is a shame as I uses it as  care guide every now an then.  I can't buy anything but it seem the settings for Canada are just a blanket out side of USA as it lets me view some products.  Still probably saves them from a lot of pointless queries. 

A VPN is the only way around the geo-blocking many sites use. There are free VPNs and for minimal use (product research, article reading, etc.) they should be fine. If you want to watch hours of videos, you probably should consider a paid VPN. The worldwide web isn't quite as worldwide as many would like. You often have to sneak around a bit to find everything you want to see and a VPN lets you do just that.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 3:13 PM, gardenman said:

A VPN is the only way around the geo-blocking many sites use. There are free VPNs and for minimal use (product research, article reading, etc.) they should be fine. If you want to watch hours of videos, you probably should consider a paid VPN. The worldwide web isn't quite as worldwide as many would like. You often have to sneak around a bit to find everything you want to see and a VPN lets you do just that.

That exceeds my casual browsing effort levels.  

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, gardenman said:

Ah yeah I was just hoping that somewhere there was a way to toggle to your choice of country site in the way, say, the IKEA site (to choose a non aquarium industry example) allows you to.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:48 PM, IanB said:

Ah yeah I was just hoping that somewhere there was a way to toggle to your choice of country site in the way, say, the IKEA site (to choose a non aquarium industry example) allows you to.

Ikea likely has multiple servers in multiple countries and each server has products available in that region. The Coop likely has a much more limited network of servers and all are likely in the US/Canada.

You could ask candy to input your order for you.  I think they save your payment info.

Browsing the current selection maybe you could look at Internet archive captures though the inventory would be off.

It would be hacky but would work if you're eager to order

On 6/20/2022 at 3:16 PM, IanB said:

Hi All,

I hope this is the right section to post this question in… does anyone know how to (short of using a vpn) access the US version of the website from abroad? I am visiting Canada and was trying to put together an order to arrive when I get back in the US but am unable to see the plants and other items unavailable in Canada. On lots of site there is an option to select which country’s site you want to browse, but I don’t see that with the coop site.

I’m excited that Canada now has Coop access though!

Can you make an account with your address then shop while logged in? 

On 6/21/2022 at 11:05 PM, CT_ said:

You could ask candy to input your order for you.  I think they save your payment info.

Browsing the current selection maybe you could look at Internet archive captures though the inventory would be off.

It would be hacky but would work if you're eager to order

I'm actually back in the US now, so able to browse before my order. I was posting in part for future interest and thinking others may have had the same issue. Looking forward to adding some lotuses to my Echinodorus/Leopoldi Angel tank