My blue has been mounting my magenta and jade snails so often he's been eroding their shells and has been separated. But, I suppose the snails could potentially be laying fertile eggs for months even now he's gone!

7D9DBE46-51A3-4074-8D1A-387416503B5F.jpeg.330e806794faa57b057fd6f763fda52c.jpeg

I incubated one of each of their clutches in some floating tupperware, and both hatched in 12 days. Once they felt brittle to the touch, I crumbled the clutch into a breeder box. While I watched the little snaibies crawl up the sides--alive!--I got a little misty. Wasn't expecting to. They're just so cute! But then, I'm the sort of person who makes snello so maybe I should've expected to get misty 😅.

8E147DF9-EA0E-4B93-B895-BCD746284557.jpeg.e379b66ecddbb0cf643a4cc254580dc2.jpeg

I'd never intended to breed snails, but the local fish store says they'd be happy to take them, and here we are! They're still so small, and every day I wake up, do my maintenance, and marvel that they're still alive.

EEC80010-378A-4FE8-B9B4-557D84CCE4DB.jpeg.dba7524b4b459133e7b8cf3533afb643.jpeg

They're too young to show their colors yet, but I can't wait! Their parents have given me so much joy; they've got such great personality. I don't know how many will make it to maturity, and since it's my first time I don't expect a huge success. But they seem to be doing great, and I'm hopeful I'll have a few more mysteries for myself and some more to help pay the fish food bills. 

71CBEF85-9F17-488B-98F1-9D286FE9ABEA.jpeg.fce1a8af4acb3ca7b5cb791c83c277b4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 6

If you haven’t talked to the store about the sizes they want you might want t. One I sell to wants them dime size the other does care. The one that doesn’t care about size does really care about condition. I if you have been through this disregard. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, Brandon p said:

If you haven’t talked to the store about the sizes they want you might want t. One I sell to wants them dime size the other does care. The one that doesn’t care about size does really care about condition. I if you have been through this disregard. 

I didn't think to ask, but luckily, they thought to tell me! 😆

Edited by DarthMollusk
  • Like 1

Moms and babies go hogwild over zucchini! 

They look like they're nomming on watermelon, I love it.

124B53B6-7EFC-4A4C-80E2-B461F924C26E.jpeg.f43b588717c1a0ac52b41682dc653cdc.jpeg

I also love how much easier it is to clean out zucchini from the breeder box than repashy or snello 😅.

BF604CF8-DFAE-4A3F-B463-52EC904E1985.jpeg.9f8c445968c8ebbffed72dee4ecd2436.jpeg

I've never seen those little slime beans zoom so fast!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 6/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, DarthMollusk said:

Moms and babies go hogwild over zucchini! 

They look like they're nomming on watermelon, I love it.

124B53B6-7EFC-4A4C-80E2-B461F924C26E.jpeg.f43b588717c1a0ac52b41682dc653cdc.jpeg

I also love how much easier it is to clean out zucchini from the breeder box than repashy or snello 😅.

BF604CF8-DFAE-4A3F-B463-52EC904E1985.jpeg.9f8c445968c8ebbffed72dee4ecd2436.jpeg

I've never seen those little slime beans zoom so fast!

AHH!  Too CUTE!

On 6/20/2022 at 5:36 PM, DarthMollusk said:

the snails could potentially be laying fertile eggs for months even now he's gone!

FACT.

On 6/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, DarthMollusk said:

A good quality turkey baster is your friend for cleaning out that gook.

@DarthMollusk how old are your baby snails?

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I don't know what I'd do without Ol' Reliable, the turkey baster. 😆 They just got fed some calcium-enhanced repashy, so I'm sure I'll be using it soon. 

They hatched June 15th! 🥳

(there's another clutch on the glass I'm leaving to its own devices until it's ready to hatch; the tank is pretty humid, and the snails seem to know where to lay at this point. They've certainly had enough practice to get it right. 🤦‍♂️😂)

On 6/23/2022 at 9:53 AM, Cheryl P. said:

Oh man, now I want baby mystery snails.  THANKS 🤣

Yeah....sorry about that XD

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, DarthMollusk said:

They just got fed some calcium-enhanced repashy

I have a "snail food kit" on order. I'm looking forward to making a repashy recipe for the first time.

I have made snello before with boiled vegetables, crushed eggshells, Knox gelatin, and algae wafers, fish food, etc. It had a bunch of stuff in it. They like it, but I didn't like using the eggshells; it was hard to get them to a powder, and if they are not powdery enough they don't want to suck up into the turkey baster.  Not horrible; they'll just sit and release calcium into the water column, but this time I'm going with calcium carbonate to avoid all that.

@Odd Duck oh, wow! Neat! I don't know if my eyes are too reliable, but it looks to me like mostly jade, blue--maybe purple. Considering the parentage, that makes sense!

On 6/23/2022 at 10:59 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I have a "snail food kit" on order. I'm looking forward to making a repashy recipe for the first time.

I have made snello before with boiled vegetables, crushed eggshells, Knox gelatin, and algae wafers, fish food, etc. It had a bunch of stuff in it. They like it, but I didn't like using the eggshells; it was hard to get them to a powder, and if they are not powdery enough they don't want to suck up into the turkey baster.  Not horrible; they'll just sit and release calcium into the water column, but this time I'm going with calcium carbonate to avoid all that.

Yeah, your snello sounds like my snello. After I lost a neon who'd been chowing on snello to bloat (presumably), I made the switch to repashy with added calcium carbonate powder. It's easier, and I trust it more. If I feel the need, once I've got the snails-only tank going, I might try snello-craft again. I do go through a lot of eggs, so it was nice to be able to reuse them, but the calcium carbonate powder has been so much nicer to use. Everyone in the tank goes nuts over it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2022 at 10:59 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Cheap coffee grinders do wonder on egg shell. We would fee back the shells to the chickens. It takes them to powder. Just an idea if you change your mind. 

• Like 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeawhy thank you for asking! 🐌

The snaibies are now big enough to get stuck in the turkey baster. 😅

There are a couple babies that managed to escape to the larger tank during a water change, and they actually seem to be thriving. So, I've moved about half from the nursery to the main tank. Some are as big as a pea, others are quite small (I wonder if the ones who are still quite small just aren't going to make it? Because so far, I haven't had anywhere near the numbers of die-offs my research led me to expect). 

Most seem to be jade or blue, but it's odd because the same snail will look blue one second and jade the next. 🤷‍♂️

They're busy at work, cleaning off the Amazon swords. I love watching them they're so dang CUTE

C92AFB93-6B44-465A-9DB9-745731839336.jpeg.f1cadddbe2dd58bcad2b8794bcde8fc4.jpeg

Edited by DarthMollusk
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/2/2022 at 9:04 PM, Brandon p said:

Cheap coffee grinders do wonder on egg shell.

You just have to make sure there’s no coffee powder in the grinder when you do it. 😉

On 7/3/2022 at 6:55 AM, DarthMollusk said:

Some are as big as a pea, others are quite small (I wonder if the ones who are still quite small just aren't going to make it?

Did you let the clutch hatch naturally or did you crumble it? If left to hatch naturally snails will hatch at different times and you’ll have a size difference. I moved my gang out to a 10 gallon. I keep a close watch on parameters. There is parasnailing all over the place. They are adorable! 

EA87E82D-69F7-447F-83DC-61D7BA245BB5.jpeg

On 7/3/2022 at 6:55 AM, DarthMollusk said:

The snaibies are now big enough to get stuck in the turkey baster. 😅

No worries, just take the bulb off and let them come out the other end. 😊

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Did you let the clutch hatch naturally or did you crumble it? If left to hatch naturally snails will hatch at different times and you’ll have a size difference.

No worries, just take the bulb off and let them come out the other end. 😊

I crumbled the clutches, but it is from two different moms. Maybe that's it? 🧐

I did figure out the bulb removal thing after a panicked minute, thankfully. Phew!😅

• Like 1