Unilateral Popeye

vividjs24

This is Daddy flagfish who I have had now for 1 1/2 years.  Upon noticing the Popeye, I quarantined him, and because tank wasn’t cycled, I changed 1/2 the water daily. I treated him first with Maracyn 2 (didn’t work), then Maracyn (again no results), 1 Tbsp salt daily and also tried Artemiss microbe-lift.

I put him back in the community tank, where he seems happier, but eye is the same.  I’m assuming at this point it’s from an injury?  Will the eye potentially fall out?

9AB44C51-1833-45AD-BE07-19D2D30F56C2.jpeg

FB1EBD7A-6FB4-499C-BC12-030D6DC742E1.jpeg

Edited by vividjs24
Photos

With unilateral Popeye it's usually caused by an injury or a growth behind the eye it might heal or he could go blind in that eye what you could do is Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes for couple of days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants it can help relieve pressure on the eye

On 6/20/2022 at 9:55 PM, vividjs24 said:

I was choosing between salt vs. epsom and went with non iodide salt.  The fact that it did nothing, you still think epsom could make a difference?  He can live like this right?

If it's an injury he should be alright if you don't want to put him though any further treatment than I would just monitor him closely to make sure the eye doesn't get any worse and only treat again if you see  the eye deteriorate any further 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

The eye probably won't fall out. I have had a female diamond tetra that's had unilateral popeye from the day I took her home. She is just fine -- likely blind in that eye but it never got any worse. I've had her for close to a year and a half with the rest of her school.

• Like 1