10 gallon plants?

kcochran

I just set the hardscape up on this 10 gallon tank. I'd like to do a Vallisneria type of plant across the back behind the rocks, but not sure of the height. What would be a rooted plant like Vallisneria or what variety of Vallisneria do I need to get so that it doesn't get so tall that it gets so long that it blocks the light?

I plan to stock with mollies and/or guppies.

tank.jpg

On 6/20/2022 at 12:50 PM, kcochran said:

I just set the hardscape up on this 10 gallon tank. I'd like to do a Vallisneria type of plant across the back behind the rocks, but not sure of the height. What would be a rooted plant like Vallisneria or what variety of Vallisneria do I need to get so that it doesn't get so tall that it gets so long that it blocks the light?

I plan to stock with mollies and/or guppies.

tank.jpg

I keep Dwarf Sag at the front of my tank and my tallest one is probably six inches. I keep the light going full blast. Val would be nice, but you would have to trim it often. Another one to possibly consider that would look great and do well especially for Molly/Guppy fry would be pogostemon stellatus octopus. It would need trimming too, but is such a fun plant. Here is a pic of the dwarf sag

ABEE96C8-5083-4CC6-8BB3-4DC5FF08BF83.jpeg

On 6/20/2022 at 1:49 PM, FishNoob said:

I just have some ordinary val in mine. It becomes unruly and has to be snipped like a haircut every couple of weeks. My rams get awful mad at me when their bug bites get bound up in the overhang. 

89F29B46-A0A8-4609-AE38-B4124A1D9478.jpeg

image.jpg

I really like the val, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck with it in the past. Thank you for the suggestion!

On 6/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, Paul R said:

I keep Dwarf Sag at the front of my tank and my tallest one is probably six inches. I keep the light going full blast. Val would be nice, but you would have to trim it often. Another one to possibly consider that would look great and do well especially for Molly/Guppy fry would be pogostemon stellatus octopus. It would need trimming too, but is such a fun plant. Here is a pic of the dwarf sag

ABEE96C8-5083-4CC6-8BB3-4DC5FF08BF83.jpeg

I think I'll give this a try. This is what I initially had in mind when I decided against the val. Thank you for the suggestion!

On 6/21/2022 at 8:43 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’m also going to say try the dwarf sag. I also like Crypt Spiralis. It has a very similar look to Val.

That's a nice looking one too. Thank you!

On 6/21/2022 at 9:54 AM, Dancing Matt said:

I read Val doesn't do well in acidic water. I am not sure how accurate that is but I know I have low pH and Val didn't do well for me.

I struggle with that as well.

• Like 1