20 gal - Main Tank overhaul

I ended up redoing the first tank do to the newbie issue I created for myself.  I took everything out and used some fluval stratum (which I regret) and moved all my plants over. The swords behind the rock look to be in bad shape... I might place some root tabs next to them to help them out. The water is still not clear due to the stratum substrate, it has improved significantly since day 1 (looked like black tea). Im glad its settled out. I took the sponge filter out and replaced it with a seachem tidal 35. So far I am very happy with it. Ill need to start looking at some foreground plants soon, but this tank (or any of my tanks) has no co2.

Current residents include 1x oto and 6x endlers. I don't want to get more otos since I have a really hard time keeping them alive. I thinking of little corys(5) and some amanos (4) might be a better choice for the bottom dwellers... any thoughts? The plan is to have a betta as our center fish once the bottom dwellers are in.

Thanks again for your support and advice! 

0.jpg.b606dc8e36714ef87c0c899ba5a0bcfc.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/19/2022 at 11:15 PM, Chris2022 said:

I ended up redoing the first tank do to the newbie issue I created for myself.  I took everything out and used some fluval stratum (which I regret) and moved all my plants over. The swords behind the rock look to be in bad shape... I might place some root tabs next to them to help them out. The water is still not clear due to the stratum substrate, it has improved significantly since day 1 (looked like black tea). Im glad its settled out. I took the sponge filter out and replaced it with a seachem tidal 35. So far I am very happy with it. Ill need to start looking at some foreground plants soon, but this tank (or any of my tanks) has no co2.

Current residents include 1x oto and 6x endlers. I don't want to get more otos since I have a really hard time keeping them alive. I thinking of little corys(5) and some amanos (4) might be a better choice for the bottom dwellers... any thoughts? The plan is to have a betta as our center fish once the bottom dwellers are in.

Thanks again for your support and advice! 

0.jpg.b606dc8e36714ef87c0c899ba5a0bcfc.jpg

It's looking great! I think a school of Corydoras would be a great idea! Of course, stuff like amanos and kuhli loaches would work as well.

• Like 1

In a 20 g you have some choices. Pygmy/dwarf corys you could do a big group up to 15 or so. Pygmys are fun because they’ll school with other fish and are just very social. I have kuhlis. I love them but I never see them. Corys you’ll see them all the time. A group of 7 pandas is doable. Amanos are great but when they get bigger I’ve had them eat Endler fry. Largest I’ve had approached 3”. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1