Intruding snail ? and Shrimp Colony update

Hi Fam, 

I took the advice on the forum and picked up a hillstream loach. This little guy is fun to watch zoom across the glass, plus he has been busy cleaning the glass. I am surprised at the results, since its only been about a week. Also, their are shrimp babies floating around! I'll have to refrain from vacuuming the gravel for a bit, just in case. Lastly, I noticed a snail in the tank... maybe he came with one of the plants? Is this a pest issue I need to worry about and deal with now? or Did I score a free nerite?

Intruder?

0.jpg.b2c33f0b6693026f7a17fea5e5d42b3a.jpg

Before loach

0.jpg.c869b488c81d9228940f82f26c24c5cc.jpg

1 Week after loach (note, the shrimps rarely eat out of their food dish.) =(

0.jpg.733d1d88b3eb123e8ecc14e0e42166b1.jpg

Shrimp Baby

0.jpg.7c6a9c1c685f2c2a8e5bbdced6004638.jpg

• Love 1

Hi, to me it looks like a bladder snail. They're honestly my favourite snail. They stay small (don't think I've seen one over a centimeter), and don't really hurt anyone directly. They can breed asexually (although they prefer to have a mate if I remember an article correctly), so that single one may multiply. They can eventually become a pest if you have WAY too much food (i.e. excess algae, biofilm, etc), however from the pics you uploaded that shouldn't be an issue. Congrats on the successes!

• Like 2

I agree bladder snails they are not bad to have the dont seem to reproduce super fast and in huge numbers like Ramshorn snails and the Malaysian snails. I would say if you had either one of those two I would’ve remove that one and try to keep it in check the bladder snails don’t really eat live plants they prefer detritus in dead material. On a sidenote my shrimp never eat from a dish I removed it and to be honest I rarely feed my shrimp they seem to graze on the moss that I have as substrate and the little bit of food that I give the neons that I have which I feed them very lightly as well

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 10:05 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

, so that single one may multiply.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:38 PM, Brandon p said:

agree bladder snails they are not bad to have the dont seem to reproduce super fast and in huge numbers

Looking more closely, there are 4 of them.... they probably came in the same batch as they are roughly the same size. I use a food bowl to supplement the shrimps diet and normally take it out after 24 hrs. I'm thinking about removing these guys by hand. 

On 6/21/2022 at 2:35 PM, Chris2022 said:

Looking more closely, there are 4 of them.... they probably came in the same batch as they are roughly the same size. I use a food bowl to supplement the shrimps diet and normally take it out after 24 hrs. I'm thinking about removing these guys by hand. 

As far as the snails yes with one you could have more. If you are not sure if you want snails I would remove them. The resin being is you can always add snails when your tank is at a place you want it you can add some. It is much harder to remove snails than add ones you can control breeding. I still like bladder snails  and they don’t reproduce to crazy and more fish eat them than most people think because the are relatively small and have thin shells. It seems like you are still working on a final product. If you want snails later east to add. These are not bladder snails they are Malaysian snails. I just removed almost 2 # today. They ate my pleco eggs B14FF969-9F5E-48CA-B6E8-5DE13CDE148F.jpeg.29a2a44e6a9fff24032631999bd4225f.jpegI put a pleco wafer in her and it fills up fast about 15-30 mins and I put them in a tank that has 7 clown loaches. They loves them(mine do but you can’t alway count on fish to cure a snail problem) 4D2F81E1-481B-490C-BAEF-723C97EC3B04.jpeg.1629f1469096d9a3223dace2e11b2297.jpeghere are some hiding 1EFD0EA9-13FA-40C8-BC89-1F55909261D7.jpeg.e727762ed2771c5ac8baf529fb23cbd6.jpegthey pushed right under and around the male pleco on the left(right is a juvenile)750A0B69-5BA4-49F0-9935-26193C4477E3.jpeg.a0d4ebd9711830767a78d5da9031f3f6.jpegI just dropped a wafer down here and got a couple of handfuls each time I did it today and same with pot holder. 2# one day

this is the clown loach that will eat them. It sounds like a lot but in about 10 days there won’t be a snail left

I like snail’s ,nertile don’t breed well and mystery snails are easy to stop from breeding by removing eggs or keeping the water full in the tank. 

I’m going to get heat for this but I would stay away from the ramshorns as week just because they breed so fast. I don’t find them to be a problem but they can get so many that it affects the looks of the tank. I raise and sell ramshorns and mystery snails so I’m not saying that snails are a no go but maybe what until you are sure you get what you want and not something you happened to get.

• Like 1