Lighting for plants

My 36g tank is a kit tank has a decent strip of led’s mounted on underside of lid. But if I wanted to add more lights how would I go about doing that. All my new plants in back are mostly high lighting plants. And sometimes I feel this single strip of led’s doesn’t hit those areas as well. This is just thought too for when ever my current leds might go out. Not that I anticipate that this soon after buying it last yr. Just random thoughts. What do y’all think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

A couple strategies.

You can cut the lid into 3 parts and remove the middle and measure it to the light you plan to use ie. Fluval Planted 3.0, Chihiros wrb2 etc. This is what I’ve done with the new Flex 15 I have. 0717CE75-5263-4E33-A324-E98054B184C8.jpeg.70526babe9ea493a62da449fa7a8c5ff.jpeg

You can buy lights from Fluval that are made to be added to the Flex 32 which is a 3 ft tank size. They come with brackets and you can use those to attach it to the top of your lid. 

You can do the same with another aftermarket light making brackets or attaching to the lid I’ve even seen people use zip ties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 6:10 PM, Brandon p said:

@Beardedbillygoat1975has probably the best idea I d seen for these molded lids. Since you have a bow front there can be issues getting light everywhere you want it. 

I agree it was my second tank ever bought I won’t get a bowfront again but I do love this tank. I had great plants going last yr till I wanted to change everything up..so I know it can do well. 

• Like 1

@Georgiapeach88im no sure where you are but they had a 290gallon tank with stand for $900 and 150 with with stand sump pumps and was alway fresh water. I’m in south Florida and it’s not unheard of for 500 gallon or tanks selling for reasonable prices. 
@Beardedbillygoat1975i have a 46 bow now with smaller African Cichlids in it. The tank and fish are great looking. It’s some of the petty little things that I’m not crazy about. I thinks some comes from tank fatigue I have a lot that I blam breeding with final and extra stuff doesn’t make as fun. I do love when guest come and rave about it though. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 7:57 PM, Brandon p said:

@Georgiapeach88im no sure where you are but they had a 290gallon tank with stand for $900 and 150 with with stand sump pumps and was alway fresh water. I’m in south Florida and it’s not unheard of for 500 gallon or tanks selling for reasonable prices. 
@Beardedbillygoat1975i have a 46 bow now with smaller African Cichlids in it. The tank and fish are great looking. It’s some of the petty little things that I’m not crazy about. I thinks some comes from tank fatigue I have a lot that I blam breeding with final and extra stuff doesn’t make as fun. I do love when guest come and rave about it though. 

Yeah my problem is spacing in my home 😂😂 rn I have a 36 next to a 29g 2g by kitchen 10&5 in my bedroom. I love to have a longer tank in general just so I can have quite a few of each species in the tank and not have over crowding. I’ll be able to accomplish this in my 36g bowfront but essentially it’s a large old school tube tv size. So once planted well and a few diff types of fish are in there can’t go hog wild lol 

I’m not to far from ya I’m bout 40 min north of ATL

On 6/19/2022 at 8:07 PM, Georgiapeach88 said:

Yeah my problem is spacing in my home 😂😂 rn I have a 36 next to a 29g 2g by kitchen 10&5 in my bedroom. I love to have a longer tank in general just so I can have quite a few of each species in the tank and not have over crowding. I’ll be able to accomplish this in my 36g bowfront but essentially it’s a large old school tube tv size. So once planted well and a few diff types of fish are in there can’t go hog wild lol 

I’m not to far from ya I’m bout 40 min north of ATL

I have a den with about 2o tanks from 5-100gal but most are 55 with angels breeding and panda Corys. In one 55 I have tiger plecos that just lays there first eggs.  If I can can them going I’m going to set leapord frog plecos and try those. I’m goal in the next 3 years is to be breeding those to plecos species and zebra plecos. 
I have the room for one large tank in the main part of the house but I don’t have it up. It’s a 225 but it was a custom tank and it needs ba new stand. Once I get a stand made it going in the living room. I think discus and silver dollars or maybe silver dollars a Tons of cardinal tetras. I hope yo get your wish to get that big tank.  all this tank about big tanks and the tank I enjoy and look at most is a moss substrate 20gal with about 16 neons a few panda cories and tons of ghost shrimp. They are really tinted blue but I love to watch this tank

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 8:25 PM, Brandon p said:

I have a den with about 2o tanks from 5-100gal but most are 55 with angels breeding and panda Corys. In one 55 I have tiger plecos that just lays there first eggs.  If I can can them going I’m going to set leapord frog plecos and try those. I’m goal in the next 3 years is to be breeding those to plecos species and zebra plecos. 
I have the room for one large tank in the main part of the house but I don’t have it up. It’s a 225 but it was a custom tank and it needs ba new stand. Once I get a stand made it going in the living room. I think discus and silver dollars or maybe silver dollars a Tons of cardinal tetras. I hope yo get your wish to get that big tank.  all this tank about big tanks and the tank I enjoy and look at most is a moss substrate 20gal with about 16 neons a few panda cories and tons of ghost shrimp. They are really tinted blue but I love to watch this tank

Nice! Yeah single parent living with my parents in rental house atm so not much space as of yet one day though I’ll get there and have my larger tank. Ya gotta share pic those sound great 

I have been having decent success by attaching submersible LED lights under the odd shaped lid tanks. They can be more easily adapted to a wide variety of oddball shapes, and even work on the flip open lid part to feed the fish. And, submersible... so I don't have to worry about an "oops".

Now that I know the biggest secret for healthy red plants is a combination of iron and plenty of light, I'm going to play with mounting a submersible on some wood so the light is invisible, but red plants get side light and stay red top to bottom (no shading of lower leaves).

20220413_220149.jpg.bf9aa8a7df1c42cb5744560d902859a9.jpg

First tank I tested it in. You can see this lid is technically too shallow for this light, so part of the light is submerged up top.

Here's the light I've been working with, because I had access to some free ones to play with:

1946133050_20220512_192516(1).jpg.ceba993e60d838658419a650609077ad.jpg

This 10 gallon has 2 of them attached to an egg crate lid to get the coverage and brightness the plants needed

20220522_111539-ANIMATION.gif.4235e72692324903a8d9e7b9402393d6.gif

It's a low cost option, yet is really nice because it's fairly easy to mount these to existing lids without having to cut or adapt the lid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 3:58 AM, Torrey said:

I have been having decent success by attaching submersible LED lights under the odd shaped lid tanks. They can be more easily adapted to a wide variety of oddball shapes, and even work on the flip open lid part to feed the fish. And, submersible... so I don't have to worry about an "oops".

Now that I know the biggest secret for healthy red plants is a combination of iron and plenty of light, I'm going to play with mounting a submersible on some wood so the light is invisible, but red plants get side light and stay red top to bottom (no shading of lower leaves).

First tank I tested it in. You can see this lid is technically too shallow for this light, so part of the light is submerged up top.

Here's the light I've been working with, because I had access to some free ones to play with:

This 10 gallon has 2 of them attached to an egg crate lid to get the coverage and brightness the plants needed

It's a low cost option, yet is really nice because it's fairly easy to mount these to existing lids without having to cut or adapt the lid.

Are you getting paid by Xtreme. Nice product placement.😆I need to try and post on Instagram 

On 6/19/2022 at 9:15 PM, Georgiapeach88 said:

Nice! Yeah single parent living with my parents in rental house atm so not much space as of yet one day though I’ll get there and have my larger tank. Ya gotta share pic those sound great 

I don’t get to see the kids until it going’s be for the judge. They said winter some time. I kind feel the damage is don’t it’s been 3 years and she moved the in right then after 21 years. I do get the house and alimony but I would give it you spend time with my kids. We did have a hearing  about 1 1/2 ago but she did follow and the judge said it will addressed at the next hearing.  I have the space but it’s empty no matter how many tank can go in.

• Sad 1

On 6/20/2022 at 3:05 PM, Torrey said:

ORD🤣

It's my fish' favorite dry flake from the Co-op, lol!

It my go to flake to. I get 2 and mix one with beef heart which unfortunately Xtreme doesn’t sell that. The discus love the mix and I use it for the angelfish fry. 

Sorry to hear. My sons father has never even tried to meet him. Quite sad really he’s five now and such an awesome kido. He helps me with the fish sometimes and likes to ask questions. I got my first two tanks because of him actually as a learning birthday present and a way for me to relax and get to her water sounds in our home.  He’s so cute naming off all the fish. He’s only just turned five and learning fast. Might even outdo me someday as animal lover. 

On 6/20/2022 at 3:58 AM, Torrey said:

Nice option for sure. My guys love Xstreme krill flakes as well 

• Like 1