Red Spot Gold Severums

Cheryl P.

I'm relatively new to breeding and I have questions!  I bought 2 red spot gold severums as babies and just happened to end up with a male and female that have paired off.  They have spawned twice in their own tank but it appears the eggs are infertile and they just end up eating them after a couple of days.

I was reading different posts on breeding them and there was a couple of mentions that a lot of gold severums are infertile but the posts are 10+ years old so I'm not sure if the info is accurate.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience breeding these guys to know if this is true.

I do realize that they are a young couple and just might not be doing things right yet too.  I'll let them do their thing a few more times to see if they are eventually successful.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:31 AM, Cheryl P. said:

I'm relatively new to breeding and I have questions!  I bought 2 red spot gold severums as babies and just happened to end up with a male and female that have paired off.  They have spawned twice in their own tank but it appears the eggs are infertile and they just end up eating them after a couple of days.

I was reading different posts on breeding them and there was a couple of mentions that a lot of gold severums are infertile but the posts are 10+ years old so I'm not sure if the info is accurate.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience breeding these guys to know if this is true.

I do realize that they are a young couple and just might not be doing things right yet too.  I'll let them do their thing a few more times to see if they are eventually successful.

How do you know the eggs are infertile vs. Severums are just eating them before they hatch? 

Most of them turned white a day or so after spawning.  Last night (day 2) there were a handful good looking eggs but this morning there were only a few white ones left that the parents were still fanning.  Unless I'm mistaken, aren't white eggs infertile?