I’m back with good news maybe

Brandon p

Well it’s been a bit, on the fish side of this my tanks are looking not so good. The health of the tanks seems to good. I have several pairs of angels with fry. My mini discus are still mini discus so I’m pretty sure they will stay small.DE1F84F8-9F63-44D9-854B-DFE31426348F.png.f820a82edf3e01ed15549772c1032397.pngthey are the most colorful it was right after I turned the light on and there diet has not been as good as it should. My L-333 pair has eggs 

AB3409D1-4828-4836-844E-327F1B6C6AE5.jpeg.78b66897bd9d409c21b0a75ae46a3340.jpeg1A6CEB86-84B1-43B8-9BD1-9FDBD5080CBF.jpeg.5b0adf04ef528f373128115da7a2b213.jpeg

This is the same little fish on my cover page it is a L-333 it has about 1 year before it is ready to bread ( meant breed but maybe in a year it will be able to make bread)they are a project.

9948759D-F822-4FD8-9072-522CE84195C8.jpeg

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

The discus seem to be very hardy. The person that I got them from won’t sell me more because he was having issues shipping. The only problem  have had was the shipping but he had to send a lot to get 12 that did not have a deformed dorsal fin. I’m trying to breed them but they are just getting to age. I think that if they could breed these discus they are perfect for a 20 gal in a school of a dozen. They would be a huge hit. I have only seen them once

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/18/2022 at 7:40 AM, TeeJay said:

Mini discus!? I mean who would want those! I've always loved them but could never keep a tank big enough to have them. So a smaller version would be awesome.

I love them I would tell people where I got them but the one people I did never got them.   I will say I got mine from the west coast. Im in Florida do that is long shipping even when paying over night. The thing is once I got them they are very hardy. They seem to take water conditions from 6.4 in my regular discus tank. And I have some in a tank with well water 6.8-7.2 and super hard water.  I think that there are could be a few issues with the Quality control when selling. I know culling is not a popular thing but I would never sell fish that deformed. I hope they get it figured about.

If you do some research you can probably can find them. 

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 2

Maybe you will have success breeding, and your culling practices will improve the gene pool.

If they can handle harder water, I have achieved 7.2 pH in a couple of my tanks now. I'd definitely be interested if you have breeding success.

Looking good, and nothing to apologize for on taking time between updates. I just realized I have over a hundred pictures I've taken for updates I never made, because I logged in and my stroke brain got distracted with everyone else's pictures and stories. Trust the synchronicity, and glad to see that your tanks and their inhabitants are healthy and happy! Keep up what you are doing, recovery is a never ending process I am learning.

• Like 1

I hope breed goes well with them but I have not always had the best success with breeding discus. I have a well and the summer rains have not been the same as the used to be for about the last 10 years. The water chemistry from the wells is different and I’ve had some issues since then with discus. The change is not all bad but for me it’s so hard to chase water to breed I normally breed what works with what I have. If the L-333 hatch and continue to lay I’ll probably move into the L-134 and zebras but I would need to know I can. I have a friend that is local and is doing well with the zebras so maybe I can barter for some when I ready. If I do get the the mini discus every one will know.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

Wow. It sounds like you have some exciting things happening. Mini discus sounds so fun!  

I hope the discus happen but I’m more in to the plecos but it seem like things are just breeding like crazy. 

• Love 1