Accidentally got some Purigen in my tank is it toxic to fish ?

Leo2o915

On 6/17/2022 at 10:16 PM, Leo2o915 said:

I guess the pre filled bag from seachem either had a leak or something some of it got into the tank need advice ? Could it hurt my fish ? 

Hope not. Change some water, and add an air-stone if you can for a day. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:25 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Got 2 sponge filters and a hob it in so air shouldn’t be a problem 

The Purigen reacts by chemical means of oxidation reduction (redox). Depending on exactly how much was dropped in, you want to ensure that there is enough dissolved oxygen in the aquarium for the fish in there. Changing water with a slightly cooler source will allow more dissolved gasses, replace some of the affected tank water, and adding an additional air-stone should zero things out. 

On 6/17/2022 at 7:53 PM, Fish Folk said:

The Purigen reacts by chemical means of oxidation reduction (redox). Depending on exactly how much was dropped in, you want to ensure that there is enough dissolved oxygen in the aquarium for the fish in there. Changing water with a slightly cooler source will allow more dissolved gasses, replace some of the affected tank water, and adding an additional air-stone should zero things out. 

Gotcha thanks makes sense 

On 6/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

no it's not toxic.  Remove it so they don't accidentally swallow it. Having it in the water won't hurt. It's naturally in the water in your filter.

Removed what I could but what happened if they accidentally swallow one that got left behind ? 

Unless your fish have a tendency to eat your substrate (I can't remember what all you have posted you have and their behaviors) there's nothing to worry about with sufficient O2 in the tank.

If they like to eat substrate, observe for blockages (which I assume you already do if they have a tendnecy to eat your substrate). Feeding live or frozen daphnia should help move things through, and the fish would enjoy the treat if you want to feed preemptively/proactively.