Submersible Light

Idk if I even need it but I got 2 submersible lights for my tank. The major issue day 1 was that it shined directly in my face where I tend to sit. Someone on Facebook gave me a great idea to put it on the side. I might only need 1 in this case. I have 2 questions over all. This is the light I got:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09CL7Q9CH?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

1. Do I even need it?

Most of what I have is low light plants. I have 2 reasons for getting it. 1. My water sprite is green on the top and brown on the bottom. My top light might not be reaching the bottom. 2.  I got 2 new plants that make me nervous they might need it. Rotala coin leaf and Homalomena Insignis. Do I even need the light?

2.  If I do keep it and have it on the side, do I need a different size?  

The one I have now BARELY fits the side at a slight angle. The one a size smaller is only 7 inches. Better to have it as is or the size smaller?  

20220617_160951.jpg

20220617_161002.jpg

On 6/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, Cinnebuns said:

1. My water sprite is green on the top and brown on the bottom.

Could this be due to a nutrient issue?  The plant is focusing it's energy on the side of the plant getting the "most light" to stay thriving?  Maybe it's just generally not getting enough light and ferts?

On 6/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, Cinnebuns said:

My top light might not be reaching the bottom.

What is the length of the tank and the length of the "LED Strip" on the top mounted light?  I had issues on my 29G tank because it was a 29G tank, 30" long with a light that was 24" long, but the actual LEDs themselves were only 20" long.

On 6/17/2022 at 4:38 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Could this be due to a nutrient issue?  The plant is focusing it's energy on the side of the plant getting the "most light" to stay thriving?  Maybe it's just generally not getting enough light and ferts?

What is the length of the tank and the length of the "LED Strip" on the top mounted light?  I had issues on my 29G tank because it was a 29G tank, 30" long with a light that was 24" long, but the actual LEDs themselves were only 20" long.

I'm confident it isn't a nutrient issue. Long story short but I really don't think it is. 

This is for the width side. The light says it's 11.6" and the tank is 12" but as you can see in the pic, I have to angle it slightly for it to fit in. I think the light is 11.6. but there is a little beyond the light for the entire thing. I'm assuming this angle wouldn't cause issues but idk. 

• Like 1

I see that, what about the top light? (Not the one you added, the one originally on the tank)

On 6/17/2022 at 4:08 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I'm assuming this angle wouldn't cause issues but idk. 

You might be able to rotate it to point it where you need to, but basically it's down to where you want the center (hotspot) of the LED at which point.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I see that, what about the top light? (Not the one you added, the one originally on the tank)

You might be able to rotate it to point it where you need to, but basically it's down to where you want the center (hotspot) of the LED at which point.

I got an amazing reply on Facebook basically saying I don't need the light at all and have better solutions. I might just return them both. 

• Like 1