Paracleanse vs Expel-P

Kieflow

Paracleanse is for a specific set of parasites, Expel-P is for a different set.

Paracleanse:

Commonly used to treat:

• Gill & Skin Flukes (Gyrodactylus)
  • Swollen Abdomen
  • Wasting Disease
  • Hole in Head 
  • Internal Tapeworms

Expel-P:

Expel-P from Fritz Aquatics is used as a deworming medication and is intended to treat parasites such as Planaria, Nematodes (like Camallanus Red Worms), Roundworms, Nodular Worms and Hookworms. Symptoms in new and sick fish can include worms visibly protruding from the anus of the fish, wasting, abdominal bloating, disinterest in food, or rapid breathing or gasping.

Expel-P does not treat Cestodes (tapeworms) or Trematodes (flukes). For these parasites, try Fritz ParaCleanse.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:28 PM, Kieflow said:

Also, which dewormer do you use for clear stringy poop? 

Paracleanse

• Thanks 1

I find I don't always have a proper ID on the parasites my fish might have.  I think of Paracleanse as a gentler medication, and go to that for suspected parasites first.  But if that doesn't work, I'll pull out the Expel-P

One thing to keep in mind with Expel-P is that is is definitely not safe for some species of snails - mind you it's fine on the species you might want to eliminate, just hard on the ones you might want to keep.  So, use it with caution, and you may need to pull decorative snail species and hold them somewhere else for a few months. 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1