🚨 Please Help My Betta

Camryn Lawrence

I have had a female dumbo betta fish for 2 years now. She has lived those years in the same tank, but we moved so I had to relocate her and set up her tank all over again. But after I put her in the new tank, everything just went downhill.

(Bit of a backstory) While I was setting up her new tank, the heater broke. We got a new one and it seemed to be working perfectly fine. We let the tank cycle for a while (But it was already pretty cycled because I used the same filter media and some of the same water. I even added some beneficial bacteria just in case) After a few days the tank water tested perfectly, everything was fine. I decided to put her into the tank. But I made a huge mistake, I forgot to acclimate her. I scooped her straight from the bag and put her into the water. She instantly darted around the tank frantically gasping for air and swimming faster than I have ever seen her swim. This lasted only a minute then she instantly hid in her floating log at the top of the water. I was very concerned but I brushed it off thinking she was just slightly stressed with her new tank.

The next morning I checked on her and found that the new heater wasn't set right and went up to 79 degrees. And at first that doesn't seem that bad but perviously the day before she was in a transport bag that was 71 degrees. So she was in a 71 degree transport bag - moved into a 76 degree tank with no acclamation - then overnight the heater hopped to 79 degrees! I checked the dial and it was on 76 degrees so I don't know why it was all the way up at 79. I went to return the heater and got a new trusted heater that worked fine. 

But my betta was affected, obviously. She probably suffered from temperature shock, because she was lethargic, wouldn't eat (VERY unlike her), was gasping for air, looks pale, AND it looked like fin rot was affecting her fins, there even possibly might be a little pineconing going on. At this point I was overwhelmed. I just moved and her being at this state on top of everything else was just a lot on my plate. I treated her with aquarium salt (The only thing I could think to do) and started researching what I could do. But I had little luck, plus what else could I do other than give her an antibiotic? Her water levels were fine she was just severely stressed. I gave it a day to see what the aquarium salt would do, but nothing really happened. If anything, It got worse.

Within a days time I saw that now her fins had bad fin rot and red spots that looked like wounds. For the past couple days all she does is lay in her floating log and gasp for air. Even if someone gave me a medicine to use, I probably couldn't get it in time. I don't know what else I can do, I need someones help but I think it might be too late with her. So much is happening to her, I don't want her to keep suffering, but I really don't want to give up on her. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

I know it was a very bad mistake of mine to forget to acclimate her, I also know it has progressed very badly, but I haven't had much time to even treat her because this all happened within 2 days.

IMG_2459.jpg

IMG_2449.jpg

Betta. jpg.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Edited by Camryn Lawrence
  • Sad 1

I would not beat yourself up about this.  You obviously had a lot going on.  Tried you best.  And learned something.    Everyone has a story, but the telling of your belongs to you.

A few things are needed  before we can weigh in further

can you describe the tank a little?   Tank size, water perimeters, tank mates, etc.  maybe send a picture of the tank as well.

is she eating?  Swimming around?   

• Like 2

Hi, thanks Ken. She lives in a 5 gallon tank with no tank mates. It is a non planted tank. I normally keep the temperature around 77 degrees. The filter I have is built into the tank and has a very low flow. She has no appetite (Even when I put the food directly above her mouth she didn't feel like reaching for it) and is only sleeping, she won't swim around. When I have seen her move she swims in a darting fashion and looks like she is struggling to stay upright. Let me know if you need any other details.

IMG_2472.HEIC.jpg

IMG_2471.HEIC.jpg

• Like 1

What I would do is treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons and add an antibiotic medication such as kanaplex or maracyn as she not eating you could try some seachems garlic guard mix with her food to help stimulate her appetite 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Hi Camryn, I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this.

Firstly, I don't think your lack of acclimation was the cause for this. It might have contributed a bit, but it sounds like your tank cycle most likely crashed and from the red "wounds" and her behavior it sounds like she is suffering from ammonia poisoning. As you can see from your test strip, it looks like you have zero nitrites which isn't normal for a cycled tank, you should always have a few. So I believe your cycle completely crashed. The things you did with the decor and bottled bacteria can help to boost-start a cycle, but it won't keep it from crashing and starting over, it will just help the new cycling along.

Luckily, there are things you can do immediately to help her. I would do a water change of 50-75%, and every 24hrs dose the tank with Seachem Prime. Seachem Prime detoxifies ammonia, so it's still there but your fish can't feel it. This is used as a tool for fish-in cycling, and will keep her comfortable until the tank has re-cycled. I would do 50% water changes at least every other day, if not every day.

I would also recommend acquiring some Indian almond leaves and boil them on the stove, then treat that water with water conditioner and let it come to room temperature and add it to the tank. The tannins from these leaves act as an antibacterial and will help sooth and heal her. I would also keep your tank lights off at all times unless you are observing her, this will keep her less stressed. If the heater you have is adjustable or you are able to acquire an adjustable heater, bump up the temperature to 80 degrees. You could even go to 82 degrees, but go to 80 at least. Bettas do best at this temperature and it will aid in her healing.

I second the advice of using a garlic supplement to stimulate her appetite. If you can get her to eat, it will greatly increase her survival odds. It's even better if you can pick up some frozen foods like frozen brine shrimp, and as a last effort to try and get her to eat I would try frozen bloodworms. I only say that I would try this last because too many bloodworms can lead to bloat for bettas, but bloodworms are the tastiest thing in the world to them so it has the best chance of getting her to eat.

If she doesn't improve or gets worse in another 5-7 days I would probably recommend euthanasia with clove oil. From her symptoms she is in a very dangerous spot currently, but if she is able to hang on until you can follow all the advice I listed above, I think she has a chance of pulling through this. Good luck and keep us updated. 

• Thanks 2

Thank you so much Hannah! I thought ammonia might be a cause to this as well so I just yesterday used an ammonia test kit and found I had 0.15 ppm ammonia. I actually used API Ammo Lock to help with the ammonia, but I might have to try Seachem Prime. She started swimming around slightly more today so I tried to use that opportunity to feed her, like you said I tried feeding her frozen bloodworms because she can't resist those but she refused to eat them. As you and @Colu said I am going to try a garlic supplement, but I don't know if it would work much. She is on day four of not eating so I have to start acting fast on this. I have thought about euthanizing her, but I don't want to do so if she still has a chance. Thank you so much for the recommendations Hannah!

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, Camryn Lawrence said:

Thank you so much Hannah! I thought ammonia might be a cause to this as well so I just yesterday used an ammonia test kit and found I had 0.15 ppm ammonia. I actually used API Ammo Lock to help with the ammonia, but I might have to try Seachem Prime. She started swimming around slightly more today so I tried to use that opportunity to feed her, like you said I tried feeding her frozen bloodworms because she can't resist those but she refused to eat them. As you and @Colu said I am going to try a garlic supplement, but I don't know if it would work much. She is on day four of not eating so I have to start acting fast on this. I have thought about euthanizing her, but I don't want to do so if she still has a chance. Thank you so much for the recommendations Hannah!

You know your fish best, it is always so hard to tell when it is time to euthanize. Just observe her as much as possible and trust your instincts. If she isn't darting around and gasping today that is a really good sign. After reading on it, it seems API Ammo Lock does the same thing that you need as Prime, so definitely keep using that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I saw she started moving around slightly more today, but is still gasping for air and her fins are just as terrible. I am going to try your suggestions. Thank you for all of the information Hannah. I really appreciate it!

• Like 2

Update:

I have so far done two 50% water changes and have dosed Ammo Lock, kanaplex, and aquarium salt. The ammonia is down to 0 ppm already!!! She is starting to do slightly better. She is swimming around now. She still has no appetite. Tomorrow will be day 5 of her not eating so this is not good. I'm hoping because her behavior is a little better her appetite might change too. The last piece of news is pretty much her entire back tail fell off. This is partly good and partly bad because almost all of the infected part of her tail has disintegrated but she doesn't have much of her tail left. She is still in such terrible condition. I feel so bad for her, she is trying to hang on so hard. I am doing all I know to do 😢 

I am trying to follow all of your suggestions right now, if y'all have anymore please let me know. Thank y'all for all of the help.

IMG_1886.jpeg

It look like it could be turning into body rot were the tail fin is in this case I would start treating with kanaplex and jungal fungas clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone together following this treatment schedule it very effective treatment for more severe infections if you can get her to eat  that will give her the energy to help fight of the infection increase her chances of recovering 1448590821_Screenshot_20220510-0129362.png.9f01fea9bbecd8cb78c4de7bf1bf97ca.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Thank you Colu, I realized she had body rot because the very back of her tail is showing a tiny sliver of flesh. I have been treating her with kanaplex I will try those jungal fungas clear fizz tabs too. But at this point I do not really think there is much I can do, but I will keep trying.