Last few pieces for the 29gal, advice wanted!

CrashBandit05

I'm 95% sure I'm going with an "Amazonian theme" for my newest aquarium. Kuhli loaches or corys for the bottom, large group of mid-top schooling nano fish and two Bolivian rams for centerpiece. 

All that is left to buy is the filter and substrate. I know the bottom dwellers prefer sand or soft substrate, so I was leaning towards flourite sand or something with smaller size pebbles?? What do you all use?? This will be planted as well!

Now for the filter.. my main concern is keeping water from evaporating and keeping cats/debris from getting in/fish and snails from getting out. I bought a glass hinged lid with the crappy plastic sleeve and noticed there is still quite some space for snails to crawl out and potential fish to escape. How have you guys with these hinged lids deal with that??

I'd like to avoid HOB due to taking up rim space. I was thinking the AQQA power driven double sponge filter but am not sure if this will provide enough water movement for a 29gal?? 

Thanks everyone!

That sounds like an awesome tank!

I use the flourite substrate in my shrimp tank. The plants grow wonderfully with it, and to be honest its probably my favorite substrate on the market. I just dont like how messy it can be. I'm currently using some of the marineland eco complete, in the short span of a few weeks the plants have been growin nicely and theres no mess. Both are inert substrates

For the filter I would just use any old sponge filter. The aquarium co-op sponge filters would work. Probably the medium or large would be fine for a 29 gallon. I'm currently using their nano sponge filter on my 20gallon long, works fine.

• Like 1

@FrozenFinsthanks for the response! Not too worried about the cloudiness from initially setting it up, it'll run for awhile with only plants while it cycles! I use a liquid fertilizer for my 9gal but I may look into root tabs for this 29gal with sand substrate since sand is inert! 

One big sponge filter or two smaller ones in each corner? I thought picking out fish would be the hardest part of setting this up!😆

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 6:50 PM, CrashBandit05 said:

One big sponge filter or two smaller ones in each corner? I thought picking out fish would be the hardest part of setting this up!😆

I think any option would work. However I might opt for the two nano/small ones, itll give you more flow.

• Like 1