Amano shrimp.....

BuzzDaddy21

009.JPG.c4c33be4d0d3226fba08d723953cb99d.JPG006.JPG.0dc179c647e03ae99589c777baec9818.JPG008.JPG.1ec5684bcbce38575202f08f80074e30.JPG004.JPG.5a4d02a62f4c85131aec39031fea1a58.JPGWell, I got looking in my 40B and saw all 5 Amano shrimp I got from my LFS and not sure when I got them, but all are doing great. Tank was setup last January 17th. went online to find more facts about them, didn`t know that imposters are sold, the article said that almost all Amano`s are wild caught. Naturally I wondered if mine are real Amano`s. (I`m not sure if it makes a difference - they look very healthy.) A couple weeks ago I received 10 Amano`s from AH and they are doing good so far, difficult to count but I have seen 6-7 so far in another 40B. Watching these made me miss my nap.😜

Has anyone tried to breed Amano`s?    

• Like 1

I was under the impression that amano shrimp have to breed in brackish water. But I'm still very much in a beginner learning phase. I had been curious about rudolph shrimp and their breeding but then learned about the same 'issue'. 

On 6/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Has anyone tried to breed Amano`s?

Yes.

And yep, those are definitely some nice larger amano shrimp.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, billango said:

I was under the impression that amano shrimp have to breed in brackish water. But I'm still very much in a beginner learning phase. I had been curious about rudolph shrimp and their breeding but then learned about the same 'issue'. 

Correct.

-Zoeys hatch out in your main tank, during night time you use a flashlight and you have 2-3 days to collect them and move them to a brackish tank.
-You have the brackish tank set for them and feed them greenwater / rotifers daily. 
-Then they grow up over time, but that's the process for a few weeks.

It's definitely not easy, but it can be done if you have the drive and setup.  I got them to survive for about a week before I just realized they weren't surviving, but they were slowly dying off.  So yes, I have tried to, was unsuccessful, but determined.

• Sad 1

On 6/14/2022 at 6:12 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

So yes, I have tried to, was unsuccessful, but determined.

Will you try again or is too much work?  I've got an empty 40B not sure about with it.

On 6/14/2022 at 6:12 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

brackish tank

I had a brackish tank years ago but forgot why. I have read some say salt water, others say brackish. I might have to pick your brain about this. Might be a winter project.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 4:33 PM, BuzzDaddy21 said:

Will you try again or is too much work?  I've got an empty 40B not sure about with it.

It's definitely work, but it was fine for me. I used a small 10G tank and my cheapest light and was learning what I was doing. It's fun. It's a fun little project in my view.