Need advice on mini-cycle

On 6/16/2022 at 8:35 PM, Torrey said:

have more stability if I dose the water with Prime in a separate container and let sit while I suction the tank

I fill with a hose and pond pump based on faucet flow rate and a number of other factors: distance, height of tank, etc so I have to dose the tank itself.

On 6/16/2022 at 8:35 PM, Torrey said:

I don't really separate my baby snails like the two of you do

I found information that a snail breeder posted stating keeping the snails in a breeder box increases their survival rate.  That’s why I do it.

It makes sense to me. They don’t need to travel far for food, they won’t get eaten, or sucked into a filter, they won’t fall from a large height, and they won’t have food stolen by fish or other tankmates. The little guys are about the size of a sesame seed when they are born.

For anyone who is interested click the link to my snail journal in my signature line to see the one week old mystery snail babies. 😍

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 6/17/2022 at 3:48 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Been a few days since last water change. Think I should or continue to let things settle?

1120FD45-5C87-43F8-8C8B-8AC4AB08804E.jpeg

First, I'd make sure nitrite isn't accumulating too much. Nitrite bacteria tend to be even more sensitive than ammonia bacteria. Other than that it's up to what you're feeling. You could (1) let it sit, giving more time to make sure it's stabilized, or (2) do a water change of whatever amount you feel comfortable with to see if you get another small spike. Option 2 could be an interesting learning opportunity. If you do it let me know what happens.