Stressing out over betta

GisheryGoodness

My new betta, Gabriel, whom I've had for almost 3 weeks has some black on him? It's under his head kinda like a beard and them on his sides as well. I know bettas can change colors some but my anxiety driven mind is jumping straight to there's something horribly wrong and he's gonna die. (Dramatic I know but sometimes the anxiety gets the best of me) anyway, he's not showing any signs that I can see of bad health otherthan the black. No lethargy, flashing, gasping, clasping fins ect. He's eating well, I feed him Omega one Betta pellets and freeze dried blood worms. 

My other betta Crowley looks like his head is getting darker, he is very difficult to get pics of so they may not be best quality. I've had him for 6 months. He also is doing well, very active, bit of a glutton when eating, lol. He has a mystery snail roomie named Rufus who he pretty much ignores unless I'm giving him attention then he vies for my attention himself. 

Tank parameters for Gabriel are 

Tank 6.5 gallon

Temp 80

Ph 7.6

Gh 5

Kh 6

Ammonia and Nitrite 0 

Nitrate 10

The pic for under his head isn't great but it's the best I could get. He posed for the others, he's a bit of a ham. 

Water parameters for Crowley 

Tank 5.5 gallon

Temp 79

Ph 7.8

Gh 5

Kh 6

Ammonia and Nitrite 0

Nitrate between 10 and 20

White one is Gabriel, Blue and red is Crowley

20220613_232448.jpg

20220613_232747.jpg

20220613_232313.jpg

20220613_232633.jpg

20220613_232703.jpg

20220613_232708.jpg

Firstly, I like the Supernatural reference 😇 😈 Secondly I think they both look absolutely fine. Gabriel's belly looks just like my far passed favorite Betta when he was healthy and eating well- but Bettas can be overfed so watch that. I'd also bump Crowley up a degree. 80-82 ideal for optimal Betta health. You are understandably overconcerned for your Bettas- they are sadly sickly fish so keeping an eye on them for any changes is a very good thing for a Betta fish keeper to have. You've pointed out no behavioral signs of illness- and their coloring as you mentioned can change. Have any Indian Almond leaf on hand? I'd add a leaf or make a leaf "tea" and add that to your Betta tanks- it's naturally anti-bacterial and very good for them.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 1:06 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Looks like swelling on the abdomen?

image.png.28dfdb5978022e986393fe159497544d.png

Do you feed frozen brine shrimp at all?

No, I don't have any frozen food on hand. He did just eat though right before this pic. He had the Omega one betta pellets. He won't eat the freeze dried blood worms that Crowley loves so I'm looking for something else so that he's got a varied diet but also low on funds atm, lol.

On 6/14/2022 at 5:49 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Firstly, I like the Supernatural reference 😇 😈 Secondly I think they both look absolutely fine. Gabriel's belly looks just like my far passed favorite Betta when he was healthy and eating well- but Bettas can be overfed so watch that. I'd also bump Crowley up a degree. 80-82 ideal for optimal Betta health. You are understandably overconcerned for your Bettas- they are sadly sickly fish so keeping an eye on them for any changes is a very good thing for a Betta fish keeper to have. You've pointed out no behavioral signs of illness- and their coloring as you mentioned can change. Have any Indian Almond leaf on hand? I'd add a leaf or make a leaf "tea" and add that to your Betta tanks- it's naturally anti-bacterial and very good for them.

Thank you, I'm a bit obsessed with Supernatural so most of my fishies will probably end up with names from the show, lol. I don't have any leaves but they are in my list for when I am able to get a few more things on next pay day. I've seen several people using them in betta tanks and the benefits of them. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 7:55 AM, GisheryGoodness said:

No, I don't have any frozen food on hand. He did just eat though right before this pic. He had the Omega one betta pellets. He won't eat the freeze dried blood worms that Crowley loves so I'm looking for something else so that he's got a varied diet but also low on funds atm, lol.

I would fast for 2-3 days and see if the swelling goes down. If you can, I highly recommend something with pea protein, spirulina, or (frozen or) freeze dried brine shrimp to help ensure he doesn't get too backed up from the pellets. The Xtreme nano food and or Xtreme betta pellets are also pretty awesome too.

Edited by nabokovfan87