How to clean up such a junky tank

Plant-master

I have had this 3 gallon shrimp breeding tank for about six months now. And I’ve been doing regular weekly water changes about 30%. The tank has so much debris in the substrate. Is that a bad thing? How can I clean it up and make it look nicer? Also I have a continuous blue green algae. I have scrubbed it off plants, rocks and glass And it keeps coming back. How can I get rid of it?

D2E2FE84-8057-49D4-AABB-FA376F8D07EA.jpeg

C49047FD-CDA7-4C80-B916-DD2FC98DB4BE.jpeg

AA463C32-7EB7-4382-80E8-8EAEBB524F15.jpeg

On 6/13/2022 at 5:45 PM, Plant-master said:

The tank has so much debris in the substrate. Is that a bad thing?

It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just decaying plant matter & fish poop, probably beneficial bacteria & other microbes. It's fertilizer for the plants. But if it gets out of balance, it's excess ammonia or nitrates in your water. All tanks go through algae phases. It's about getting the light/nutrients/plants in balance. 

What's the lighting schedule & what kind of light? Do you do water tests? 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 8:55 PM, Anjum said:

It's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just decaying plant matter & fish poop, probably beneficial bacteria & other microbes. It's fertilizer for the plants. But if it gets out of balance, it's excess ammonia or nitrates in your water. All tanks go through algae phases. It's about getting the light/nutrients/plants in balance. 

What's the lighting schedule & what kind of light? Do you do water tests? 

The light is a twin star B- line and it is on for 7 hours. 

On 6/13/2022 at 5:45 PM, Plant-master said:

I have had this 3 gallon shrimp breeding tank for about six months now. And I’ve been doing regular weekly water changes about 30%. The tank has so much debris in the substrate. Is that a bad thing? How can I clean it up and make it look nicer? Also I have a continuous blue green algae. I have scrubbed it off plants, rocks and glass And it keeps coming back. How can I get rid of it?

I would leave the back glass to have algae.  It gives them something to graze on as well as give them some comfort.  Meaning, one side of the tank where they aren't exposed.

As for the other issues, they sell "nano tank" siphons that are short but have a wider opening.  I would think that's a good bet because it allows you to vac an area without taking out too much water.  If your siphon doesn't have a short intake, I'd look into that.  Ultimately, when I have issues like what you're describing, I'd scrape the glass, vac the substrate, but that's it.  Eventually you'll catch up and get a feel for where all the mulm is coming from. 

The substrate is a larger pore size, which just means it's easy for food to get stuck to where the shrimp can't access it.  Just something to keep in mind.

On 6/14/2022 at 1:13 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I would leave the back glass to have algae.  It gives them something to graze on as well as give them some comfort.  Meaning, one side of the tank where they aren't exposed.

As for the other issues, they sell "nano tank" siphons that are short but have a wider opening.  I would think that's a good bet because it allows you to vac an area without taking out too much water.  If your siphon doesn't have a short intake, I'd look into that.  Ultimately, when I have issues like what you're describing, I'd scrape the glass, vac the substrate, but that's it.  Eventually you'll catch up and get a feel for where all the mulm is coming from. 

The substrate is a larger pore size, which just means it's easy for food to get stuck to where the shrimp can't access it.  Just something to keep in mind.

I will, thanks.