Alternative to paraclense

lmhicks101

I don’t have paraclense or any parasite meds at my LFS so I have to go to Petco and they have  the following. 

microbe-lift - Artemiss 

microbe-lift - her tana

api - pimafix

Imagitarium - parasite remedy 

I know I can order online but I would rather buy local or at the very least know what the locals have that work incase of emergencies.

image.jpg

• Administrators

The comparable medication to ParaCleanse would be API General Cure. Regarding the "meds" that you are showing, I wouldn't recommend them. None of those are really medications. They are herbal remedies that may or may not be effective. In my opinion, you'd be better off just using aquarium salt for parasites. 

Also, I wouldn't really call Petco "local". 😜

On 6/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, Zenzo said:

The comparable medication to ParaCleanse would be API General Cure. Regarding the "meds" that you are showing, I wouldn't recommend them. None of those are really medications. They are herbal remedies that may or may not be effective. In my opinion, you'd be better off just using aquarium salt for parasites. 

Also, I wouldn't really call Petco "local". 😜

I agree about Petco but for some reason the 3 actual LFS have nothing for parasites. I can’t find General cure either.  Thank you though for that. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I totally understand supporting your LFS stores. For meds though, it is probably worth buying some online and storing a couple of medications just in case something happens. That way you will have them on hand in an emergency. 

Good luck!

You can order the API stuff online if need be.  I have had to do that before because the local store was just out of it. 

It's unfortunate.  If you look at the ingredients for some of the things you photographed above it looks like they are both the same thing. Some of them have tea extracts in them, etc.  Just keep an eye out on the use for what you're buying.  Some things are used in addition to other things. Treating with one med might expose another issue. Etc.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:11 PM, Zenzo said:

They are herbal remedies that may or may not be effective. In my opinion, you'd be better off just using aquarium salt for parasites. 

100%

On 6/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can order the API stuff online if need be.  I have had to do that before because the local store was just out of it. 

It's unfortunate.  If you look at the ingredients for some of the things you photographed above it looks like they are both the same thing. Some of them have tea extracts in them, etc.  Just keep an eye out on the use for what you're buying.  Some things are used in addition to other things. Treating with one med might expose another issue. Etc.

100%

I ended up not getting any before you guys replied because they all say to not mix with any other meds and I need it for new fish quarantine so needed to put a lot in at once. 

On 6/13/2022 at 5:45 PM, lmhicks101 said:

I ended up not getting any before you guys replied because they all say to not mix with any other meds and I need it for new fish quarantine so needed to put a lot in at once. 

I'd definitely check those out, med trio + salt is what a lot of us have on hand for QT and treatment.

• Thanks 1