Could I get a tank mate to help keep the glass clean in my shrimp tank?

Chris2022

Hi Fam, 

I have a 10 gal shrimp tank and the glass on the back and sides is getting a build up of algae.  No heater, but the temp is generally room temp. Could I get a ret.hillstream loach to help keep the glass clean? Does anyone have experience with this or recommend a more suitable alternative?

Thanks

image.jpeg.a899a54ff1bc2b2c40f0449cf6e9a26b.jpeg

• Like 1

Some people make a single work, but generally hillstream loaches are best kept in groups. You could do a school of otocinculus cats, or nerite snails! I was very impressed when I got my nerite snails, they are much more active and eat a lot more algae than mystery snails. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, Hannah Parker said:

Some people make a single work, but generally hillstream loaches are best kept in groups. You could do a school of otocinculus cats, or nerite snails! I was very impressed when I got my nerite snails, they are much more active and eat a lot more algae than mystery snails. 

I really want to stay away from oto's. I really like the fish but I've had a really hard time keeping them alive in the 20 gal main tank. Ill research nerite snail. Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 1:37 PM, Chris2022 said:

I really want to stay away from oto's. I really like the fish but I've had a really hard time keeping them alive in the 20 gal main tank. Ill research nerite snail. Thanks

Totally fair, I've always been too scared to try and keep them too. Which is a shame because they're so cute!!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 10:33 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I have a single Hillstream, Kirby does great- seems better at keeping plants clean than the glass sometimes so they are paired with a single Nerite in a Flex9. Kirby is one of the lights of my aquarium life. 

I like the idea of having a loach. Especially if it eats similar food as the shrimp. 

On 6/13/2022 at 10:52 AM, Lemon said:

A nerite snail should work, also a magnetic algae scraper doesn't take to long. btw the moss on the rock is beautiful 

I a bit weary about using the algae scraper on the back glass. I planted the plants really close to the back and I dont want to mess them up. Thanks, Im hoping the moss covers those rocks completely! 

I have 3 small nerites in my shrimp tank and a pretty big one in my Betta tank and the glass is always spotless, they never stop moving and working to find any spec of algae in the tank - I must admit though, hillstream loaches are SO cool!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 10:22 AM, Chris2022 said:

Could I get a ret.hillstream loach to help keep the glass clean? Does anyone have experience with this or recommend a more suitable alternative?

The best thing I've found to clean glass is a rubberlip pleco.  You can get a brisstlenose as well, but I think the first one does a lot better at cleaning glass.

• Like 1