Ammonia Crazy

Good Evening!

So I have been having an ammonia problem with my quarantine tank. It keeps reading 1.0 - 2.0ppm. I have done a number of water changes even done a 50% water change and it doesn't seem to be helping. I put some bio-rings and an old sponge from my main tank setup. I have some guppies and otos in the quarantine tank. The nitrite and nitrates seem be no longer be present. I'm kinda at a lost right now.

On 6/11/2022 at 7:12 PM, Colu said:

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia 

Yea, the water from the tap is 1.0ppm. Which i'm sure is playing a part of the problem but I'm still confused on how to get past it. My main tank doesn't have this problem but I'm sure thats because the gravel and filter media is helping with that.

Edited by tayedafishhobbist

What does your water test after 24 hours with aeration?  Kind of unfortunate to have the ammonia in there. I wonder if it can just be off-gassed.  From briefly looking online it sounds like the culprit is probably chloramines in the water that show up on the ammonia test.  From what I read they also cannot be off-gassed.

I really hope you have something to filter water  for cooking or drinking.  They sell under sink systems that might be a good investment for you to filter that out.

I agree, having a container to condition water is a good investment for water changes. They do sell 55G trashcans that you can put on wheels. It's very common use for maintenance companies at well so they don't have to carry buckets in places that don't have water access.

Maybe to help those little guys out that are in quarantine use some water from the main tank for that water changes as you mentioned it can scrub the tap ammonia.

Get some lucky bamboo (easy to lift and keep on standby if you need to use plant unfriendly meds or salt) or other hungry plant to use the ammonia to.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 4:28 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

What does your water test after 24 hours with aeration?  Kind of unfortunate to have the ammonia in there. I wonder if it can just be off-gassed.  From briefly looking online it sounds like the culprit is probably chloramines in the water that show up on the ammonia test.  From what I read they also cannot be off-gassed.

I really hope you have something to filter water  for cooking or drinking.  They sell under sink systems that might be a good investment for you to filter that out.

I agree, having a container to condition water is a good investment for water changes. They do sell 55G trashcans that you can put on wheels. It's very common use for maintenance companies at well so they don't have to carry buckets in places that don't have water access.

I will have to look and see how I can work that in my apartment

On 6/12/2022 at 5:21 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Maybe to help those little guys out that are in quarantine use some water from the main tank for that water changes as you mentioned it can scrub the tap ammonia.

Get some lucky bamboo (easy to lift and keep on standby if you need to use plant unfriendly meds or salt) or other hungry plant to use the ammonia to.

I will look at getting a lucky bamboo. Also I didn't think about using the water from the main tank for the water change.

• Like 1