Hatching cherry shrimp eggs

Datgurlhope

20220610_003833.jpg.1de4e0f324614597d790ee90c4c7b80d.jpgI just got this girl two days ago along with a yellow cherry shrimp and two Amano shrimp.  There is only one original occupant left (amano).  However the girl pictured was carrying eggs when she died tonight.  I was able to get them off of her and are now in a thin mesh net floating above my bubble stone to keep them aerated and moving.  There are one-two black spots on each egg so I believe they are fertilized(roughly 31 eggs).  The problem is idk how to really care for them and the tank is new, so there is little algae.  I have some plants and am going to get a new ground cover plant soon so the new shrimplets can hide.  Is there a way I can quickly promote algae growth?

Edited by Datgurlhope
Adjust info and add photo of shrimp

Sorry to hear about the loss of your shrimp. Leaving the light on for longer than is needed should work, as well as making sure there's more nutrients in the water than the plants can consume. Algae could be really hard to get rid of, so another option could be growing biofilm, which might be easier to deal with if you want to remove the food after the shrimp babies have been dealt with and the tank has matured. Dropping in some wood, or some indian almond leaves should start growing biofilm. They may discolour your water slightly with tannins (causing it to look a bit brown/murky).

I've also noticed my shrimp swarming a new plant when it's dropped in (presumably since it has biofilm/other foods for them), so if you need new plants now could also be a good time for that.

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
Grammar and clarification
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 12:19 AM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your shrimp. Leaving the light on for longer than is needed should work, as well as making sure there's more nutrients in the water than the plants can consume. Algae could be really hard to get rid of, so another option could be growing biofilm, which might be easier to deal with if you want to remove the food after the shrimp babies have been dealt with and the tank has matured. Dropping in some wood, or some indian almond leaves should start growing biofilm. They may discolour your water slightly with tannins (causing it to look a bit brown/murky).

I've also noticed my shrimp swarming a new plant when it's dropped in (presumably since it has biofilm/other foods for them), so if you need new plants now could also be a good time for that.

I should be getting a new plant from aquarium co-op soon so that should help.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 8:41 AM, Datgurlhope said:

It has been just under a week now, but when I was adjusting my filter it felt a bit slimy so would that be biofilm?  Also ally shrimp inhabitants died so would that be because of not enough food?

Yes, that's biofilm.  And yes, they may have died because of not enough biofilm in the tank.  I generally recommend people let a tank run for at least three months before adding shrimp.

I have personal experience with struggling to keep shrimp alive in new tanks.  I assumed that adding a sponge filter and multiple live plants from an established tank would provide enough.  I was wrong.

• Like 1

I have some babies who were born in the Qt tank so like you very little algae.

So far I seem to have done ok by adding the odd shrimp pellet and a dusting of first bites, repashy and spirulina powder so it deposits all over the tank.

I also drop my plant cuttings in from the display tank which should have a good amount of biofilm on them