Can figure of eight puffer live in fresh water?

31LJ95

So in the wild figure 8’s inhabit river deltas in the lower mekong. They are euryhaline fish that can stand freshwater for long durations, but health will be considerably improved by adding marine salt. Your target is 1.005-1.008 as this is a commonly agreed on range. There is debate in the hobby that euryhaline fish can adapt to life without salt due to the physiology of their specialized gills. But I would argue against that notion.

Also puffers can be a bit… temperamental. If this 80l is already setup with fish I would forego this option. They need tank inhabitants that can stand their own or know how to disappear if the puffers get crabby.

Hi thanks for the reply. The tank is a new cycled tank I was going to add a Betta but now he does not want them I want the puffers. I’m not sure if I will get them due to the salt but thanks for the reply 

It will probably be fine if your water is hard enough. They've already been in fresh water for over a year so there isn't a huge risk if you continue to keep them in brackish. If you see their health begin to deterierate you may have to add salt or rehome them, but it is worth a try if you really want them. Often, brackish fish will be more fragile in freshwater, but if you are willing to keep extra good care of them that could make up for it.

You can slowly increase the salinity in the coming months it doesn’t need to be salt water but you may notice better color, more activity and their general health will be better in a brackish situation. The only plants I have that handle brackish are certain types of salt water algaes, Java fern, I remember reading about a brackish crypt but I think it’s hard to get. Mangroves work and easy to get on eBay Or Etsy