What semi-aquatic plants can I put in my Goldfish tank?

Hi Everyone!

I am kind of bad at plants and am trying to improve. I've always had live plants in my tanks, and the ones that do best are usually anubias and hornwort. I also have some kind of crypt doing pretty well in my tropical tank. Now that I've started a goldfish tank, I am trying to keep semi-aquatic plants in the top of the tank hanging out to absorb nitrites. I have 1 bamboo stalk and about 6 cuttings of my mom's pothos. I also have a couple of amazon swords, anubias and hornwort in this tank. You can see the tank I'm referring to in a separate thread here. Does anyone have any other suggestion for easy, hardy plants that I can stick in the top of my goldfish tank? I don't use CO2 or fertilizers or anything. Thank you!

I sure do…. I have about 20 varieties of plants

do best

peace lily

anthurium

dracaena 

spider plants

syngonium

monstera

swiss chees plant (dwarf monstera)

red mangrove

do ok or have more delicate roots

inch plant/wandering Jew 

Calathea 

prayer plants 

I have a few other I forget the name of  pretty much any houseplant that can be water propagated has done well for me  

project plant life has some awesome videos for this

here are some of my tanks to give you some ideas

569657D8-93CC-4A70-A1DE-A21C521A6A7B.jpeg

F8B21F28-A76E-41F1-AEE2-B341DE251EAC.jpeg

D4469E04-97F3-48EC-A628-AD8CE2090D04.jpeg

0E41103B-9496-4C30-8C6F-E463785FD03B.jpeg

50DE4996-0A6F-4A65-BDEE-7B15209E6A06.jpeg

982A2D37-3404-4710-B957-11401A8CCB5B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I used egg crate light covers from Home Depot and i just jam stems in the holes I like the root look flowing into the tanks. That’s why I listed the more delicate roots ones I’m not certain will stand up to gold fish.  The ones I bought as rooted plants in pots I stuck in hobs and removed half the media. My hobs are backup filtration so non essential 

midway through page 37 of my aquarium journal i show the plants I got and a step by step how to for the ones in my hobs

ED0012FC-5D0D-4D7B-AB5B-C9F8768D426F.jpeg

885531CC-0E37-43C9-937F-AF2A46E57C28.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Awesome thank you! I think I will definitely stick with the ones with stronger roots. Love the Red Mangrove, they are super cool. On Etsy I found a shop called PothOCarry and they actually make rim attachments specifically for this! They are super cool and I think I will get some eventually.Poth-O-Carry™ Original: Aquarium Rim Pothos Holder image 1

I'm curious if Red Mangroves could fit into their bamboo holders as well...Poth-O-Carry™ Grove: Bamboo wall for the rim of your aquarium image 1

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, Hannah Parker said:

Awesome thank you! I think I will definitely stick with the ones with stronger roots. Love the Red Mangrove, they are super cool. On Etsy I found a shop called PothOCarry and they actually make rim attachments specifically for this! They are super cool and I think I will get some eventually.Poth-O-Carry™ Original: Aquarium Rim Pothos Holder image 1

I'm curious if Red Mangroves could fit into their bamboo holders as well...Poth-O-Carry™ Grove: Bamboo wall for the rim of your aquarium image 1

I just got some of these for my tanks 2 days ago. I'm just starting out with them. They are made very well and at a fair price.

IMG_20220609_200719614_MP.jpg

IMG_20220609_200726605.jpg

• Love 2

On 6/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, Hannah Parker said:

I'm curious if Red Mangroves could fit into their bamboo holders as well.

Yes I actually put a zip tie around mine and left the tail on the tie so it does not fall through the egg crate. My understanding is they are hard to sprout so be sure to get ones with leaves or sprouts on them 

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/10/2022 at 6:50 PM, TeeJay said:

I just got some of these for my tanks 2 days ago. I'm just starting out with them. They are made very well and at a fair price.

IMG_20220609_200719614_MP.jpg

IMG_20220609_200726605.jpg

Hey that’s my thingy I sell! Thanks so much for the shout out and the share. 🙂 small biz lives and dies by word of mouth. I appreciate it and always get such a smile when I see my goodies in the wild like this. I originally made these for myself and decided I had to sell them once got the response i got when I shared it online. I hope since your post, your plants are flourishing! I added some extra light on top of my tank and my Pothos started growing out. 

• Love 2

Aw well the bamboo holder works great as well. I have that on my 10 gal Cory tank. I'll have to get a pic of it when I get home.

On 6/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

@TeeJay just showed me those. I’m not sure if they were the same brand. I was going to get some for my grow out tank I just set up. Awesome cool!

Yes they are the same brand and seller.

• Like 1