Shrimp Diseases

Torrey

I was doing the autistic rabbit hole on my shrimp, and discovered just how difficult it is to find reputable information on shrimp diseases.

I figured I wasn't the only one, so I'll post the peer-reviewed research I find here. I started the rabbit hole because I saw what I feared were vorticella on one of my Blue Dream's (neocaridina) nostrums. It turned out to be a bit of green bean it was saving for later🙄.

Finding peer-reviewed data for treatment is taking a while, but here's an article on the actual ID of one species (of over 200) of vorticella found on freshwater shrimp. There are quite a few links to more articles in the paper. This excerpt explains why it is so hard to find reputable information:

"P"rotozoan parasites are one of the most important groups of pathogens that have a negative impact on the health of farmed and wild shrimps; however, they did not receive a lot of attention because of the technical difficulties inherent in their research compared to larger helminthic parasites (Lom and Dyková, 1992). Current studies of parasites in shrimps are mostly marine species (Chakraborti and Bandyapadhyay, 2011; Lightner and Redman, 1998). Due to the relatively low level of understanding of parasites in freshwater shrimp farms, the lack of effective treatment may lead to escalating problems."

This will hopefully be changing!

20220609_222647.jpg.59d8050652925fdfa47c2346aec6fd20.jpg

You can see Big Mama on the green bean, and the other two shrimp coming over the rocks toward the green bean. They crack me up! 

The snails are all headed to the green bean, too!

• Like 2

Thanks @Torrey,this is a very good post.

I lovingly refer to animals like shrimp (especially allll of their crustacean counterparts that come from the sea which I will NOT eat) as "Sea Bugs" because logically they are- animals with outer skeletons that eat....well we'll just call it the leftovers for the most part. So I'm not surprised by the lack of research in their care and treatment as most of the time humans are trying to kill "bugs" and not save them. 

I used to be extremely frustrated with the pocket pet "industry" for lack of skill and knowledge of our smaller pets, hamsters, chinchillas and ESPECIALLY rats. I mean c'mon- rats are responsible for a huge chunk of human medical science breakthroughs. So I literally had to go through a university lab- they had more information on how to diagnose and treat my rats than my own (very capable) Veterinarian. 

All that to say, it's nice to have a place like this to share information and be able to id and treat whenever possible.