filter choice for new 75 gallon

phenagain

I've recently started back in the hobby after a 20 year hiatus. I just got a 75 gallon and I was hoping to add a severum, red tailed shark and a few gourami. I currently have 2 sponge filters running but I'm guessing that may not be enough for these larger fish?  

Do I need a HOB or canister to handle the waste better?

On 6/9/2022 at 10:04 PM, phenagain said:

I've recently started back in the hobby after a 20 year hiatus. I just got a 75 gallon and I was hoping to add a severum, red tailed shark and a few gourami. I currently have 2 sponge filters running but I'm guessing that may not be enough for these larger fish?  

Do I need a HOB or canister to handle the waste better?

I ran 2 Tidal 75s on my tank.  I also ran it with one AC110.  I would recommend two (AC75s will not work without modifying the rim).  just because of the flow balance or side mounting the intake/spraybar to run the length of the tank if you use a canister.

I honestly would recommend a canister as long as you commit to cleaning it properly!  Sponges work too if you prefer those, I would just have a decent air pump.

RTBS enjoy flow in my experience.  I've had them on pretty much everything. Even if it's just a bubbler, something for them to play around.  They hover a lot, swim through things. Having a scape where you have a lot of different hides/cover is going to be beneficial to reduce the stress of the fish.  Because that's their nature, higher flow helps to keep the water moving when it is covered.

• Thanks 1