Options for biological filtration?

dan12boy

On 6/11/2022 at 2:48 PM, Pepere said:

I can wrap my head around how you need to have sufficient beneficial nitrifying bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate.

Iam having a hard time understanding how more biofiltration eliminates bad bacteria for crystal clear water.

By what mechanism is extra biofiltration reducing bad bacteria? Is the biofilm mechanicaly filtering the bad bacteria?   Or is it suppressing by chemicals or enzymes?

I am not saying it doesnt eliminate bad bacteria, butI am puzzled by what means it might be doing so.

I now have an under gravel and canister with an add on (penn plax optimizer) with only course foam. I went from a Tidal 110 and the difference is amazing.

This will help:

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/6-4-crystal-clear-water/

one thing that has become confusing to me is biologically filtering nitrate. after hearing about novak anoxic filtering and now about pondguru's anaerobic filtering, are they the same bacteria? they seem to take the same amount of time to establish. anaerobic nitrate filtering seems like an easier setup. easier than both of those seems to be a bunch of emersed plants 🤷‍♂️