Shipping Snails

Cinnebuns

Someone brought up that Google says it is illegal to ship snails across state lines. I'm very confused and also wanting verification. 

This is the screen shot he gave:

FB_IMG_1654793228412.jpg.d5ca137b44a7786f39f95929a51cb20b.jpg

Reading the whole thing yields these issues:

1.  It's from 2019 and things change

2.  It's just some guy on a forum saying things. Although I'm also asking for answers from "some guys on a forum" lol

3.  It appears they are talking about land snails. 

That said, I still want to clarify this. I know tons of people who ship snails. Are they all doing it illegally?  I'm so confused. 

On 6/9/2022 at 12:01 PM, Odd Duck said:

I think it may depend on the species?  Aquarium snails get shipped across state lines all the time.  Even those that are considered potentially invasive in certain states.

Which is what confuses me. I found several sources saying it's illegal yet not only is it done all the time but my post office takes the clutches I mail without issues and I tell them what it is

• Like 1

In cases like this, it’s best to look for the authoritative source.  Since we are not all lawyers, the usda website is a good start.  
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/sa_import/sa_permits/plant-pests/sa_snails_slugs/ct_snails_slugs

the prohibition is against snails eat or infest plants or plant products.  This may be the get out of jail free card, but let’s poke around 

On 6/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, Ken Burke said:

In cases like this, it’s best to look for the authoritative source.  Since we are not all lawyers, the usda website is a good start.  
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/sa_import/sa_permits/plant-pests/sa_snails_slugs/ct_snails_slugs

the prohibition is against snails eat or infest plants or plant products.  This may be the get out of jail free card, but let’s poke around 

I pointed that out to him too but he responded "all snails eat plants" which is true. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Someone brought up that Google says it is illegal to ship snails across state lines. I'm very confused and also wanting verification. 

This is the screen shot he gave:

FB_IMG_1654793228412.jpg.d5ca137b44a7786f39f95929a51cb20b.jpg

Reading the whole thing yields these issues:

1.  It's from 2019 and things change

2.  It's just some guy on a forum saying things. Although I'm also asking for answers from "some guys on a forum" lol

3.  It appears they are talking about land snails. 

That said, I still want to clarify this. I know tons of people who ship snails. Are they all doing it illegally?  I'm so confused. 

It varies by state, which is not going to make life easier. 

Go to the state you are wanting to ship to, and verify that the snails you are shipping are legal in that state.

Same thing has to be done for fish.

Need to know the Latin binomial name to check.

Fish & Wildlife is typically pretty patient at answering questions, otherwise USDA is the next best option. 

• Like 2