Film after adding Fluval 3.0?

drawnitsud

So, first, I bought a Fluval 3.0 for my 29 gallon planted tank. WOW. My tank's lid lights could not even (pun only slightly intended) hold a candle to this. It's amazing all the way around. 

ANYWAY

I looked today and noticed there is an almost oily film on top now. Does anyone know what this is from? I have definitely been under-lighting my tank up until now so I don't know if this is a response to that. I tested the water to make sure parameters were still okay and they were great, actually. 7.2 PH (per usual), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 5ppm nitrates. Also adding a photo on the light pattern I am using now (its just the "pro" tab but my Corys seem to love the added light)

fluval_film_0608.jpeg

fluval_film2_0608.jpeg

fluval_pattern.jpeg

It’s a layer of fats and proteins that sometimes develops on the surface of the water. These can come from a number of sources and usually go away on their own. They are sensitive to air pressure and I believe it makes for a food source for bacteria. But I may be misremembering the data…

Anyway it’s pretty normal and nothing to worry about. Perhaps you just noticed it now due to the power of your new light.

• Thanks 1

It’s biofilm. Most likely has been there the whole time, you are just noticing it now. Surface agitation helps break it up so it does not build up. 

Ever leave a bucket of water to to sit outside? You will get this same buildup. Then if you touch the inside of the bucket and you feel that “slimey” texture. That is also biofilm. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2022 at 9:30 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

It’s a layer of fats and proteins that sometimes develops on the surface of the water. These can come from a number of sources and usually go away on their own. They are sensitive to air pressure and I believe it makes for a food source for bacteria. But I may be misremembering the data…

Anyway it’s pretty normal and nothing to worry about. Perhaps you just noticed it now due to the power of your new light.

Awesome, thank you! And yeah, the tank's lights that I added have revealed a lot 🙂

• Like 1