20 g

Temp 78. 

20% wc weekly

stt 6m

stocking 

5 female bettas

15 cpd

1 Albino LF BN 

unknown number of ghost and amano shrimp. 

8DC19ABC-4160-4250-9B07-B8C871A6F6A2.jpeg

4EBE8F78-6D0F-4AA9-9FAF-081D91084AF1.jpeg

D7B86CD5-BA7A-4E5C-951F-2093721522D1.jpeg

BCBBFB28-2CAC-49DC-879C-62677F6025ED.jpeg

Female bettas don’t fight however they get dropsy once in a while and pass so I replace. 

Your tank 2 definitely looked like it has ammonia. I think getting that to 0 consistently should be your first goal. Unless I'm reading that wrong. Kind of confusing since you do appear to have nitrates but no nitrites. Have you tested water from tap?

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Sorry, yesterday was a busy day🙂 How are the fish doing in the tank? What is your overall assessment and or goals for the tank.

I lost a few more platys but everyone is doing well so far today. Eating and more active since I lowered the temp 

13 minutes ago, JaredL said:

Your tank 2 definitely looked like it has ammonia. I think getting that to 0 consistently should be your first goal. Unless I'm reading that wrong. Kind of confusing since you do appear to have nitrates but no nitrites. Have you tested water from tap?

I took the photo late but it was showing as 0 as it dries it turns green. Instructions say to read right away and it always yellow at that point 

6 minutes ago, Liz hughes said:

I took the photo late but it was showing as 0 as it dries it turns green. Instructions say to read right away and it always yellow at that point 

That's good. It sounds like you're getting good advice here on how to help those mistreated fish. I would definitely suggest looking into quarantine for future rescues before adding to community. That way you aren't adding stress to your healthy fish while treating the sick ones.

1 minute ago, JaredL said:

That's good. It sounds like you're getting good advice here on how to help those mistreated fish. I would definitely suggest looking into quarantine for future rescues before adding to community. That way you aren't adding stress to your healthy fish while treating the sick ones.

I am 😀 should be here by Sunday 

• Like 2

Regarding your Tank 1 Platy issue, if things don't improve, you could consider moving them to a 'hospital tank'. Maybe a 20 gallon depending on how many fish are alive by that point. The challenge with your 80g tank is you have to add soooo much meds to treat 80 gallons and you are treating your other fish unnecessarily which may be causing stress for them.

The added benefit of a hospital tank is if there is any stress on the fish caused by other fish in the tank, this potential problem will be removed.

The smaller tank will make medicating, temp regulation, salting, water changes and observation much easier. Go bare bottom with a sponge filter if you can.

Regarding your Betta Tank 2 -

Take a break -

If your fish continue dying, please don't introduce new fish into that. Solve the problem first. If they end up all dying it may be something in the tank. At that point you can 'sanitize' the tank and start over.

To start solving the problem move the fish or the shrimp as I don't think the shrimp will like salt.

Once separated, try salt and if you can antibiotics for bacteria.

i would be looking for causes as this seems to keep happening. This may be a stress issue. Considering you have a tank full of female bettas, they may be attacking each other and when you add a new fish, the 'territories' the other fish have staked out become 'challenged' by the 'invader'. @Cory does not recommend betta sorority tanks for this reason. 

I have no idea if this is your issue, but it is something worth looking for. 

I hope I've helped some.

Good Luck!

8 hours ago, Dandy Pearl said:

Regarding your Tank 1 Platy issue, if things don't improve, you could consider moving them to a 'hospital tank'. Maybe a 20 gallon depending on how many fish are alive by that point. The challenge with your 80g tank is you have to add soooo much meds to treat 80 gallons and you are treating your other fish unnecessarily which may be causing stress for them.

The added benefit of a hospital tank is if there is any stress on the fish caused by other fish in the tank, this potential problem will be removed.

The smaller tank will make medicating, temp regulation, salting, water changes and observation much easier. Go bare bottom with a sponge filter if you can.

I’m getting a hospital tank on Sunday! It’s a 10g. Hopefully it helps 

8 hours ago, Dandy Pearl said:

Regarding your Betta Tank 2 -

Take a break -

If your fish continue dying, please don't introduce new fish into that. Solve the problem first. If they end up all dying it may be something in the tank. At that point you can 'sanitize' the tank and start over.

To start solving the problem move the fish or the shrimp as I don't think the shrimp will like salt.

Once separated, try salt and if you can antibiotics for bacteria.

i would be looking for causes as this seems to keep happening. This may be a stress issue. Considering you have a tank full of female bettas, they may be attacking each other and when you add a new fish, the 'territories' the other fish have staked out become 'challenged' by the 'invader'. @Cory does not recommend betta sorority tanks for this reason. 

I have no idea if this is your issue, but it is something worth looking for. 

I hope I've helped some.

Good Luck!

No one has gotten dropsy in about 3 weeks or so. They don’t seem to fight. The odd chase but with the amount of plants it only lasts like 10 secs. I read that you should keep the numbers odd and around 5 in a 20g with dither fish. That’s why I kept adding. I work in my fishroom so I keep a close eye. I haven’t see any fights or stress signs other then apparently dropsy? So much to learn. 

5 hours ago, Bill said:

@Liz hughes if you treat the fish with antibiotics, and they are able to eat, I'd recommend mixing it in food over putting it in the water. In the directions for Kanaplex they tell you how to make it (also using Focus):

WWW.SEACHEM.COM

Good luck!

Thank you, I'm Canadian so I’m not sure I can get those but maybe they are available? I will google