I need someone to teach me more about fish keeping. I’m learning as I go but would enjoy constructive criticism, that is aimed at giving my fish the best lives. I have 8 tanks and would like to go through them one by one. I want to start with my 80g bowfront as I’m losing platys in it. Right now they have anti biotics in the water. However I truly don’t know what’s wrong. Please be kind.

FA6BE665-60DD-4DAA-8607-13DBE82CE9E0.jpeg

Tank # 1, gets water change 1 time a week 50%, temp 84 F. STT 3 months 

stock

unknown number of platys guessing 45

( they were rescues) 

12 zebra danios

11 panda corys

4 angelfish 

16 amano shrimp

12 harlequin raspboras

2 GBR

1 albino LF BN

1 clown pleco

1 male betta

1 female betta 

I will test water and post in a bit 

Edited by Liz hughes

The first thing that jumps out at me is assuming you are keeping the tank at 84 degrees for the GBR's that is too high for the rest of the fish that you are keeping in that tank.

Secondly what type of issue are you having that you are using antibiotics?

Not really sure you need to rehouse anyone.  I have GBR thriving in 74 degrees and 77 degrees.  Maybe drop the temp to 78 and watch your rams.  If they start acting wonky they will probably need a new tank.  But IMHO 84 is a bit warm for platties, not sure about the rest there.

4 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Not really sure you need to rehouse anyone.  I have GBR thriving in 74 degrees and 77 degrees.  Maybe drop the temp to 78 and watch your rams.  If they start acting wonky they will probably need a new tank.  But IMHO 84 is a bit warm for platties, not sure about the rest there.

Ok temp is down to 78 😍

1 minute ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Did the rescue involve quarantine before they went to their current tank?  Do you know the parameters of the original home by chance (specifically the temp)?

I don’t know much other then they weren’t fed for 6 weeks. I didn’t qt them. 

2 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

When did you add the platys? Did you quarantine them first?

I didn’t qt them and the wiggle symptoms death had been going on a while before I got the rescues. Saying this all out loud is embarrassing Hahahahah but I need to learn 

Tank # 1, gets water change 1 time a week 50%, temp 84 F.

unknown number of platys guessing 45 - like hardish water mid 70's but can tolerate warm, native to Mexico and Central America

12 zebra danios - Asian tough as nails, really don't care what kind of water they are in, if you kill these, you are the problem

11 panda corys - South American, softer more acidic water preferred but flexible

4 angelfish - South American, softer more acidic water preferred but flexible

16 amano shrimp - I don't know much about Amano shrimp

12 harlequin raspboras - South Asian fish that inhabit blackwater habitats similar to your South American fish

2 GBR - South American, softer more acidic warmer water preferred found in backwaters and oxbows

1 albino LF BN - South American, softer more acidic water preferred but flexible

1 clown pleco - South American, softer more acidic water preferred but flexible

1 male betta - South Asian found in warm shallow low oxygen ditches and flooded areas

1 female betta - South Asian found in warm shallow low oxygen ditches

If it were me, I would knock the temperature back to the 78 - 82 range, but the 84 degrees isn't killing any fish, it is just a touch on the warm side.

All your fish are pretty tough and flexible and not too picky about water parameters, but notice that the platys just come from a different environment from all your other fish. Nothing about the parameters of your tank should be killing platys, I just wouldn't keep them in that tank.

And while you've been posting, I have been typing this...it just wasn't a good batch of platys to begin with. It happens.

11 minutes ago, Liz hughes said:

I didn’t qt them and the wiggle symptoms death had been going on a while before I got the rescues. Saying this all out loud is embarrassing Hahahahah but I need to learn 

No worries sounds like you were trying to do the right thing then and the right thing now also sounds like they were treated very poorly which sucks 😞 to go with that they were probably in poor water conditions so doing a slow acclimation with them would have been good as well so they dont go into shock.

4 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

No worries sounds like you were trying to do the right thing then and the right thing now also sounds like they were treated very poorly which sucks 😞 to go with that they were probably in poor water conditions so doing a slow acclimation with them would have been good as well so they dont go into shock.

What can I do now to that tank to give them the best chance ? I turned down the temp to 78. I’m treating with oxytetrcycline atm but after a Wc I could switch them to my dewormer flubendazole ? 

1 minute ago, Liz hughes said:

What can I do now to that tank to give them the best chance ? I turned down the temp to 78. I’m treating with oxytetrcycline atm but after a Wc I could switch them to my dewormer flubendazole ? 

If you've already done that twice I wouldnt do it again at least not until a few weeks have passed. More than anything I would be worried about something bacterial especially at the elevated temps they were at seems to allow for more bacteria to thrive. I'm not as familiar with oxytetrcycline I would suggest salt but looks like you have plants in the tank.

Don't do too much. Just because the platys aren't doing well doesn't mean it will spread to the other fish. Usually it is the interventions that kill the fish and not the original problem. If your other fish look and act fine, nothing is likely to change with them.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

If you've already done that twice I wouldnt do it again at least not until a few weeks have passed. More than anything I would be worried about something bacterial especially at the elevated temps they were at seems to allow for more bacteria to thrive. I'm not as familiar with oxytetrcycline I would suggest salt but looks like you have plants in the tank.

The oxy stuff is suppose to cure bacterial infections. so I’m told