Rehoming an Orange Pleco in Western WA

Jennibird

Hi,

A friend of the family rescued an Orange Pleco. However, she was recently diagnosed with cancer and asked if I could take it as she's trying to downsize and reduce care load while in treatment. I only have room for my one 10 gall tank and it's at capacity. I said I would put feelers for an experienced aquarist that might be interested in taking the Orange Pleco. She wants it to go to a good, experienced home since it's already been rescued. Anyone in Western WA interested?

Thank you!

Edited by Jennifer
add tags for more views/responses
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 7:35 PM, Jennifer said:

Hi,

A friend of the family rescued an Orange Pleco. However, she was recently diagnosed with cancer and asked if I could take it as she's trying to downsize and reduce care load while in treatment. I only have room for my one 10 gall tank and it's at capacity. I said I would put feelers for an experienced aquarist that might be interested in taking the Orange Pleco. She wants it to go to a good, experienced home since it's already been rescued. Anyone in Western WA interested?

Thank you!

I’m not in Washington but I’m not sure what you mean by an orange pleco?  Can you clarify?  Might get more takers of people know what species and can understand what size it might get.

Well wishes for your friend.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 7:18 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’m not in Washington but I’m not sure what you mean by an orange pleco?  Can you clarify?  Might get more takers of people know what species and can understand what size it might get.

A picture might also help.  

On 6/8/2022 at 5:18 PM, Odd Duck said:

I haven't seen it myself, so I can't say for 100%, but I think it is an Orange Spot Bristlenose Pleco

On 6/8/2022 at 10:21 PM, Jennifer said:

I haven't seen it myself, so I can't say for 100%, but I think it is an Orange Spot Bristlenose Pleco

That’s an excellent size pleco for many tanks but quite uncommon rare in the trade.  Super reds are a lot more common and are an overall orange color.  I know it’s a lot to ask under the circumstances, but a picture would be very helpful.  Lots of people on here have significant cumulative knowledge about plecos.  We would like to help.

On 6/8/2022 at 7:19 PM, Ken Burke said:

A picture might also help.  

I've asked for a picture but she said it's super shy and hard to get a pic of. I don't know how she wants me to help without more info 🤷‍♀️

On 6/8/2022 at 8:34 PM, Odd Duck said:

That’s an excellent size pleco for many tanks but quite uncommon rare in the trade.  Super reds are a lot more common and are an overall orange color.  I know it’s a lot to ask under the circumstances, but a picture would be very helpful.  Lots of people on here have significant cumulative knowledge about plecos.  We would like to help.

I'm trying to get a pic, but she said it's really shy. I suggested to look for one online, but I think she's just overwhelmed with dealing with her cancer.

Understandable.  I’m just a little concerned it could be an albino common, which get huge.  They can get yellow enough, someone might call them orange.  Or an albino sailfin pleco which can get to 19”.  Even a cactus pleco can get quite big, up to 14”.  If it is an orange spot or most any variety of bristlenose pleco, they are much easier to take in.

I’d happily pay for shipping to get it to me, no matter the species, just so she doesn’t have to worry any more.  But I know I wouldn’t be able to provide a long term, forever home for an albino common, but I could for an albino sailfin (which tends to stay slightly smaller than the type) or a cactus, or easily any species or variety of bristlenoses, of which the largest species I’m familiar with gets to about 7”, but I’ve read the largest species gets to 10”.  The most common bristlenoses get to 5-6”.

If it would help at all, I’d truly be happy to pay for shipping and find it a good home if local pick up doesn’t happen.  If it’s a super red, I would probably be a forever home.  A cactus pleco could have a forever home, also.  I will have to rehome my rescued common plecos, sooner rather than later, to someone with a monster tank or pond.  A cactus could then go in my 75 gallon as a forever home.

Please, let me know if that would help.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 10:35 PM, ChargerstoLA said:

If you could find out what size tank it is would help us narrow down what kind of pleco it is. If the tank is 30 gallons or less, we can “assume” it is a super red. But then again, you never know. 

I do believe it's in a 29 gallon ...

That's true, you never know.

• Like 1

I'm in western washington but am still a beginner. I've found that the GSAS hobbyist facebook group can be a good local resource for rehoming fish. Lots of experienced fishkeepers there if you can't find someone here. (I hope I'm not breaking any rule by mentioning another fish community) 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

I don’t really know why the call them super reds.  They are clearly orange.  😆 

Mine is red !!! Well almost red.

More seriously best wishes to your friend. Hopefully it is  a treatable form of cancer.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

Ok, so thank you for the well wishes. Cancer is horrible, but hopefully her treatments work well.

Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone...

Ok, so apparently, it's currently in a 10gallon tank and is on the small size. I don't think she knows the exact species, however I sent her some pics and she said it looks like this ...

282824056_349068837340120_7203047022777613748_n.gif

• Like 1

That definitely looks like a super red bristlenose pleco. Should be fairly easy to rehome locally.  They are typically in fairly high demand.

If there are no takers, my offer stands any time to pay for shipping to me in Texas. I have other super reds her fish can hang out with. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, Odd Duck said:

That definitely looks like a super red bristlenose pleco. Should be fairly easy to rehome locally.  They are typically in fairly high demand.

If there are no takers, my offer stands any time to pay for shipping to me in Texas. I have other super reds her fish can hang out with. 

Truly appreciate the offer and will definitely consider it if there aren't any locals interested. (only because it's safer than shipping)

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, anewbie said:

You can always take it to your local fish store if it is not a chain store. They are definitely a fish 'in demand' and most stores will take them.

I've given her a couple LFS suggestions. Ones I know take really good care of their fish.

• Like 2