Powering through the ICH tunnel

GisheryGoodness

I have two different things going on so bear with me. 

For the 29 gallon I started treating for ich on Friday and only one of them have any spots, and he was really rough looking. I got pictures of them all, not great pictures but I tried. The yellow one in the second pic looks like he has white spots on his body but he's just idk kinda shiny and thats what it looks like for some reason up close. However I'm pretty sure they're all constipated. When they poop it's just a long black string that stays attached for a bit while they're swimming. I fed them today,  I've seem fairly mixed thoughts on feeding while medicating and they definitely snatched it all up. 

I know to keep treated for about two days after seeing the last spot and I plan to keep the salt water for a week after that unless that's affecting their constipation issues.  So my questions are

how do I solve the constipation issue?

What do I do once the treatment is done, tank wise, I know to run all equipment hose, net, ect through bleach solution and set aside but not what to do inside tank? 

Am I right that they are looking good or are there other issues? 

Added crushed coral yesterday, how long does it take to raise GH/KH? 

Is there a way to raise GH and KH without raising PH because I apparently have soft water so all my tanks need to be raised but the PH of my other tanks does not need to be raised?

Current Water parameters before 25% water change and re-added meds and salt and Prime. 

GH - 5

KH - 2

PH - 7.0

Ammonia - 0

Nitrites - 0

Nitrates - 0, they were 5.0 yesterday but I'm guessing the daily water change messed with that.

Temp 84

The platy I isolated I don't think is doing well. I am on day four of following what was suggested here of Kanaplex and jungle fungus tabs. I can't test the water until I get some strips though because the water is blue so using the test kit won't really work. I'll post the few pics I managed to get of her as well. Maybe she is doing better? She seems more active and I'm now fairly certain she is a she because she's not clamping her fins but is she showing signs of dropsy?

Here are all the pics, the first one of from Saturday, the rest from today. Sorry for the long post, just really hoping there's a light at the end of this tunnel

20220604_220710.jpg.b2ec750a529f3c4602f3d96c30c4d929.jpg

20220606_181113.jpg

20220606_174909.jpg

20220606_175028.jpg

20220606_174155.jpg

20220606_181757.jpg

20220606_181519.jpg

20220606_181804.jpg

I've been re-watching the "how to" videos on meds because I am about to go through it all again. One thing Cory mentioned was that with some treatments you want to treat multiple at once because you may cause one issue when you fix one thing.  Example being, ICH, you could have open sores as a result, you need to then treat bacterial infection wounds.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-ich-on-freshwater-fish

Just something to keep in mind.  The first 2 fish still have Ich as well, so you're going to need to keep treating the tank.

On 6/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, GisheryGoodness said:

I've seem fairly mixed thoughts on feeding while medicating and they definitely snatched it all up.

From the Cory video, feed every 3-4 days. lightly, spirulina or some brine shrimp so it helps them clear everything out internally.

Added crushed coral yesterday, how long does it take to raise GH/KH?

Depends how you're using it, and how much. It took me about 3ish weeks to see it.

Is there a way to raise GH and KH without raising PH because I apparently have soft water so all my tanks need to be raised but the PH of my other tanks does not need to be raised?

By raising KH, PH will raise slightly. You can use wood or other things to lower PH, or some of the products designed to adjust KH+PH at a ratio.  Something like Seachem Alkalinity buffer and Acid buffer are designed that way.

Edited by nabokovfan87
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I forgot to clarify that the first two pics are actually the same fish just days apart and different angles, so he's definitely cleared up a lot but yeah still has ICH so not out of the woods yet. Ordered some spirula flakes that will be here in the morning.

The last 3 are of my quarantined fish that seemed to have other stuff going on so I pulled her out and into a quarantine. She seems a lot better like moving around more, ect but her body looks rough so I'm thinking she needs some Paraguard possibly.

I put about two pounds in my 29 and about a half a pound each in my 5.5 and 6.5 since I didn't know how it would affect PH. Guessing it's a bit of trial and testing.