Starting Snail Breeding Tank for Feeding Puffers

Andrew Puhr

Here is my plan for the tank:

2.5 gallon aquarium
Crushed Coral Substrate
Simple LED Light on 12 hours light cycle for algae growth 
Sponge Filter
Feeding zucchini, frozen bloodworms, and Xtreme Sinking Wafers

Any thoughts for better success? Will be transporting a good amount of snails from my Guppy/BN Pleco Breeding Tank to get them started. 

• Like 1

Well I'd save the bloodworms for the puffers, and also on the aquarist podcast, the guy was breeding spotted puffers and he said the best food for snails to make them breed was unsalted cut canned green beans

Also since your main objective is to just grow a whole bunch of algae I'd even increase the photo period to like 14 or 16 hours, plus add fertilizer occasionally

Edited by Spewing_nonsense_
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Spewing_nonsense_ said:

Well I'd save the bloodworms for the puffers, and also on the aquarist podcast, the guy was breeding spotted puffers and he said the best food for snails to make them breed was unsalted cut canned green beans

Also since your main objective is to just grow a whole bunch of algae I'd even increase the photo period to like 14 or 16 hours, plus add fertilizer occasionally

The bloodworms are mainly because I left the package out for a few hours and don't trust them for my puffers anymore but I figure they would be safe for snails as a part of their diet. I will try the green beans since I have those for BN plecos too

I’ve had mixed results with smaller tanks, unless you have an auto water change, they can foul up 2.5g fairly quickly. I’m having pretty good success in a hang-on breeder box attached to a 10g fry system tank.

My goal has been to over-feed so they reproduce a ton, so maybe 2.5g would be ok with lighter feeding/algae grazing.